Sandbox Hearts, Part Four

<BFP> TAP has the only storyline left to finish.

<OShuva> Heh, we probably got our storylines the wrong way around from a meta perspective

<TheAntiPiro> I have about 2 and a half hours left before a spot opens on my NWN server anyway.

<BFP> Did you decide who Alan's target will be?

* BFP is now known as HollyhockGod

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm.

<TheAntiPiro> There's a lot of ways to go about this though.

<TheAntiPiro> You suggested the Power of Greed might be able to point towards a possible candidate?

<HollyhockGod> Not as such, just that Greed and Love together are the closest things to Desire that have Powers today.

<HollyhockGod> You could always ask?

<TheAntiPiro> I imagine he'd get along well with Greed anyway, and it'd build relations between the two.

<HollyhockGod> Let me see, what's a good mountain for Greed to live in?

<TheAntiPiro> I suppose sending a messenger ahead requesting some advice would be a good idea.

<TheAntiPiro> Along with offers of 'compensation'.

<HollyhockGod> What would you compensate him with?

<HollyhockGod> I doubt Greed haggles much.

<OShuva> Pompeii?

<OShuva> "I created your civilisation with the purpose of being hedonistic! You're not being hedonistic enough! Eat burning death! Rar!" and so on

<HollyhockGod> Gluttony is hedonism, not Greed.

<OShuva> Pff, sorry

<HollyhockGod> Greed is why you fill a mountain up with gold you'll never spend.

<HollyhockGod> Maybe a mountain in the ocean somewhere.

<HollyhockGod> Someplace in the Ring of Fire.

<TheAntiPiro> I'm sure Greed has plenty of different plans in motion in prosaic reality to drag in gold and such.

<TheAntiPiro> Or other such mundane pursuits of riches.

<HollyhockGod> So, then what do you have to offer?

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. I could simply offer a turn of events for any operation he has going on.

<HollyhockGod> Perhaps you could weave some appropriate fate to take with you as a sample of your work?

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. I suppose that recent discovery of the ship worth millions and millions in colonial gold would be a good example to bring up.

<TheAntiPiro> Things like that don't just happen every day.

<TheAntiPiro> Unless you're suggesting I bring along something that I could make happen.

<HollyhockGod> Yeah, just take a piece of a fate that you made that you can weave in wherever you like.

<HollyhockGod> Demonstrate that you can make good things come his way.

<TheAntiPiro> That works. Perhaps the next time an archaelogical group happens to go digging around Egypt, they'll find some long lost hidden tomb of a pharoah time has forgotten the name of.

<HollyhockGod> I don't doubt Greed has "archaeologists" at work in Egypt.

<TheAntiPiro> Exactly.

<HollyhockGod> I'm sure they'd love to uncover an unknown tomb.

<HollyhockGod> Okay.

<TheAntiPiro> And buh, I'm half asleep still.

<HollyhockGod> Greed's Chancel is on an island in the Pacific rim.

<TheAntiPiro> How wonderful.

<TheAntiPiro> How does one travel to it?

<HollyhockGod> You've got a channel leading out of Shatterthread that exits a hundred miles or so away.

<HollyhockGod> You could take one of the good boats.

<TheAntiPiro> That's satisfactory enough. Alan's in no real hurry.

<TheAntiPiro> Hopefully it'll be a pleasant enough boat trip.

<HollyhockGod> Sure, bring some pina coladas.

<TheAntiPiro> That's fine. Is the island one of those big tall brooding places with stormclouds and the like from the distance?

<TheAntiPiro> Maybe Wario patrolling along the castle top and going inside once in a while to take a leak while he waits for Mario to arrive?

<HollyhockGod> It's possible!

<TheAntiPiro> Awesome.

<HollyhockGod> I think the mountain is only occasionally visible from the outside.

<HollyhockGod> Chancels are odd.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

<HollyhockGod> But you can find the way in using the Rite of Passage.

<HollyhockGod> It's a pretty tall mountain, as you said. A permanent ring of clouds surrounds it.

<HollyhockGod> The island was once tropical, but now nothing living grows there, and everything has been scorched black.

<HollyhockGod> There's a very faint ground path leading from a cove into the mountain proper.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm, would a piece of broken glass work for the Rite of Passage?

<HollyhockGod> Yes, or a bottle of something.

<HollyhockGod> It's not too hard to get in.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah, so it doesn't have to be broken.

<HollyhockGod> Ancagallon does not feel the need for any guards besides himself so long as he's at home.

<TheAntiPiro> Fair enough, but once Alan finishes his final colada he'll go ahead and take a peek through the glass to make sure the obvious path -is- the right one.

<TheAntiPiro> No reason to be completely lazy about it.

<HollyhockGod> Should be, since you're already inside the Chancel proper.

<HollyhockGod> The Rite only shows you where the entrance from one reality into another.

<TheAntiPiro> Oh, I am? I'm a fast worker without knowing it.

<HollyhockGod> I skipped the dull bits.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah. That's fine.

<HollyhockGod> How shall you go about this?

<TheAntiPiro> Well, I imagine I should make sure they're aware I'm there. Anyone to announce my arrival or point me towards ol' Ancagallon?

<HollyhockGod> You could use magic.

<HollyhockGod> At least to send a message.

<TheAntiPiro> I don't suppose a level 1 miracle of aspect would be enough to shout out that I've arrived so that it'll hopefully carry to Ancagallon?

<HollyhockGod> No. I'd go with a spell.

<TheAntiPiro> A spell huh.

<HollyhockGod> You can spend AMPs or SMPs to use magic. About one point per three spells.

<HollyhockGod> Mortal magic can basically duplicate anything generally available technology can do.

<HollyhockGod> So you can conjure a boat, or a car, or something like one.

<HollyhockGod> At least, if you think spells are in-theme for you.

<TheAntiPiro> Seems like a lot of effort.

<TheAntiPiro> Which is why I was trying to avoid that sort of thing.

<HollyhockGod> Wandering in unannounced is sort of like an act of war.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

<HollyhockGod> I mean, you're a walking god who can blight the place with a look.

<TheAntiPiro> So, an empty Chancel proper and I need to announce my arrival.

<HollyhockGod> Yes.

<HollyhockGod> Having spirit servants is also useful for this purpose.

<TheAntiPiro> True. I guess I could conjure one up to go find him and announce I'm there?

<HollyhockGod> Do you have any?

<HollyhockGod> What spirits serve Fortune?

<HollyhockGod> You can more or less create extras with Lesser Creations and servants of note with Major ones.

<HollyhockGod> brb

<HollyhockGod> So, what'll it be?

<TheAntiPiro> Ho hum. What'll it be? I don't imagine there's any leprechaun spirits at my disposal.

<HollyhockGod> If it brings good luck, you could do that.

<HollyhockGod> I'm not certain it would impress Ancagallon unless it can also make gold.

<TheAntiPiro> That'll be fine. I'm sure it'll be a show of good will, and I had doubts about it amusing him much.

<HollyhockGod> Also it it has that level of useful powers, it's a Major Creation.

<TheAntiPiro> Let's omit that kind of a power for now.

<TheAntiPiro> I can offer something else once talks start anyway.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, you create an Irish pixie servant out of some threads of fate in your shirt pocket.

<HollyhockGod> A simple task.

<HollyhockGod> It bows low (quite low) and scampers off into the mountain.

<HollyhockGod> There is a short pause.

<HollyhockGod> Then you hear an enormous roar, and a jet of flame bursts from the top of the mountain.

<HollyhockGod> The ground shakes, and then all is still.

<HollyhockGod> But the mountain is smoking, and continues to do so.

<TheAntiPiro> Kind of expected something to that effect.

<HollyhockGod> So, what's the plan.

<HollyhockGod> Keep talking for a sec, I've been called away.

<TheAntiPiro> It would seem Ancagallon is rather unhappy, so it can't be helped.

<HollyhockGod> So, what do you do?

<TheAntiPiro> I suppose Alan underestimated the price of admission.

<HollyhockGod> Sometimes it's important to take current events into account.

<HollyhockGod> Action?

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm.

<TheAntiPiro> I'm trying to resolve the extent to which Fortune can create things.

<HollyhockGod> You can create things that are part of the Estate of Fortune.

<HollyhockGod> That includes fate, luck, and creatures associated with it.

<HollyhockGod> Also objects associated with it.

<TheAntiPiro> That's been my major slow down. I wasn't sure if Fortune would just be circumstance or all the things involved.

<HollyhockGod> So you could make a rabbit's foot, a horseshoe, a black cat, a leprechaun, one of those lucky Japanese prayer strip things…

<HollyhockGod> I tend to define it as "things that happen to you".

<HollyhockGod> So you could make someone get cancer, but you can't force them to become a fireman.

<TheAntiPiro> That's what I was defining it as. Oh well, as long as we have to solidified now.

<HollyhockGod> You can also make weird spirits like economic nymphs or humans who have Fortune associations, like gamblers.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm.

<HollyhockGod> I personally advise you to adopt some Asian iconography.

<HollyhockGod> It's less silly-looking than a lot of Western lucky items.

<TheAntiPiro> Yes, but we all know the user's dislike of Asia.

<HollyhockGod> Fair enough.

<TheAntiPiro> The ground is soft enough to dig through somewhat?

<HollyhockGod> It's mostly ash and glass.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. Figured as much.

<TheAntiPiro> Well Ancagallon probably has very little use for lucky creatures, which was shown with the likely destruction of that poor leprechaun.

<HollyhockGod> On the bright side, I think you can say you've been announced.

<TheAntiPiro> Given that there seems very little to be done, I guess Alan will just go ahead and walk in.

<TheAntiPiro> Just going to have to run the risk of him getting angrier.

<HollyhockGod> Caves, tunnel, some more cave.

<HollyhockGod> Oh, my.

<HollyhockGod> It's the largest mound of gold you have ever seen. The mountain is much, much bigger on the inside.

<HollyhockGod> I think you could fit the Moon inside this space.

<HollyhockGod> And there's gold and treasure everywhere. I won't even bother to describe it; that's how much there is.

<HollyhockGod> But you don't really care because there's an enormous black dragon in the air raving and breathing fire.

<HollyhockGod> "MURDERER! THIEF! DESECRATOR! YOU DARE! YOU DARE!"

<HollyhockGod> I advise you to take some form of evasive action. Some of this fire is going to be coming your way eventually.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan has no idea what the dragon is raging about, and is this fire immediately heading his way or does he have time to shout that he's in the room?

<HollyhockGod> The dragon is looking more or less straight at you, although he's wobbling a bit out of rage.

<HollyhockGod> He's totally thinking of you.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah. Well I imagine I'll ask what has him so angry, and if there's anything I can do to make amends, although he's got a bad feeling that the leprechaun might have something to do with it.

<TheAntiPiro> (I need to stop going to sleep at 6 in the morning. I'm just a mess upstairs.)

<HollyhockGod> I think you should think more about recent events, OOC.

<HollyhockGod> Of course, IC, Alan has no way of knowing this.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. I almost forgot what Viktor had just done OOCly. And yes, Alan has no way to confirm this. Things probably happened while he was making his trip to the island.

<HollyhockGod> "A MIGHTY SERVANT OF MY ESTATE SLAIN! A TEMPLE OF GREED DEFILED! AND YOU ASK WHY? BE EXTINGUISHED!"

<HollyhockGod> You're having fire breathed at you.

<Sarck> (Oops)

<TheAntiPiro> (Yeah, I hate you right now.)

<HollyhockGod> (Please calm him down. All caps text is annoying.)

<Sarck> (Maybe I won't mention how I got the heart)

<TheAntiPiro> (Alan's probably going to have questions if he makes it out alive.)

<TheAntiPiro> So, can my powers effect any part of the cave I'm in, or is that not an option.

<HollyhockGod> You can affect anything that isn't you.

<HollyhockGod> Or Ancagallon.

<TheAntiPiro> What about the flames he's spewing?

<HollyhockGod> Yes.

<HollyhockGod> I know what I would do.

<HollyhockGod> It's important to understand what's random and what isn't.

<Sarck> (I can't think of what I could have done differently to not be a murderer. I mean, I suppose I coulda made a draco-lich…)

<HollyhockGod> (You could have brought the heart back still inside the dragon.)

<TheAntiPiro> (It's no problem.)

<HollyhockGod> (I admit this might have caused problems of its own.)

<TheAntiPiro> What level of aspect would it take to simply move out of the path of the flames?

<HollyhockGod> Depends on how entertainingly you dodge!

<HollyhockGod> Incorporate entertainment and I will reduce the requirement.

<TheAntiPiro> Oh how boring.

<HollyhockGod> I advise you to consider that the motion of particles is essentially random.

<TheAntiPiro> I was considering that.

<HollyhockGod> Hm, maybe you should have just sent Ancagallon a prayer.

<TheAntiPiro> It's ok.

<HollyhockGod> I thought you couldn't, but people at RPG.net proved you can.

<HollyhockGod> http://lists.hitherby.com/pipermail/nobilis-hitherby.com/2000-December/000584.html

<TheAntiPiro> Well. That sucks for me.

<HollyhockGod> Even so, sending a servant is more impressive and anyway he would have hated you either way.

<TheAntiPiro> Lesser Creation of Fortune would suffice to give the flames a path that more or less passes around me, or am I going to have to lesser destruction the fortune of the flames so they miss me?

<HollyhockGod> You could maybe alter their path to curve around, yes.

<HollyhockGod> I was thinking of something different.

<HollyhockGod> But that works.

<HollyhockGod> The stream of fire breaks off into two tongues that fork off to either side of you.

<TheAntiPiro> I think I'll have to shout that I don't understand what he's talking about while that fire goes wayward.

<HollyhockGod> "I CARE NOT! ALL SHALL ANSWER FOR THE SINS OF ONE!"

<Sarck> (Raemiel has some 'splaining to do)

<TheAntiPiro> I think I'll reach into my shirt pocket and pull out the little thread of fate I was going to display to him and wave it around a little bit. "Wouldn't want this to go to waste would you? I could even add to it if you'd become more reasonable."

<HollyhockGod> The rocks and floor of the cavern suddenly jump out at you, as tiny pebbles and stalagmites begin to jump on top of you.

<HollyhockGod> I think they're trying to steal the buttons off your clothes. It's irritating.

<HollyhockGod> The sight of something valuable is enough to stop the dragon for the moment.

<HollyhockGod> "What is this… object?"

<TheAntiPiro> Can I affect the flight pathes of all the rock heading for me?

<HollyhockGod> It isn't flying as much as flowing out of the ground and jumping over you.

<HollyhockGod> Essentially, pebbles are picking all your pockets.

<TheAntiPiro> How unfortunate.

<TheAntiPiro> Especially since I don't have anything on my person and the thread is in my hand.

<HollyhockGod> It's a Greed-themed distraction attempt.

<TheAntiPiro> Well Alan being a light traveler seems to have come in handy. A short monologue is in order.

<HollyhockGod> Monologue barriers up. Proceed with soliloquy.

<TheAntiPiro> "This is a thread of fate and fortune. It's not very impressive right now, but once added into the fabric of reality, it could lead to many things. Perhaps a hidden burial site of a powerful king of old filled with all sorts of riches."

<HollyhockGod> The dragon settles down on the ground and begins doing a head-tilt.

<HollyhockGod> Luckily, it seems the Power of Greed is one of the Powers immersed in their Estate rather than fully in command of it.

<HollyhockGod> "I have lost much wealth today, and a powerful servant… if you wish to make amends, much more than this is needed!"

<Sarck> (What was so wealthy about that mountain?)

<TheAntiPiro> "Well, if you would be kind enough to explain what has happened, I can easily compensate you for your losses. I can even make what I came here to request of you beneficial for us both."

<HollyhockGod> "Yes… yes… it would please me to have your services. Still there are many treasures upon the Earth that I do not yet own."

<TheAntiPiro> (Sometimes it's -good- to be the power of Fortune.)

<HollyhockGod> "Your foolish Sibling has destroyed Mt. St. Helens, both a powerful relative of mine and the keeper of a mighty temple to Greed."

<Sarck> (Damn it)

<HollyhockGod> "The value of the wealth and prayers contained therein was vast! My wrath will not be forestalled cheaply!"

<HollyhockGod> "For a start, I ask…"

<TheAntiPiro> Alan takes the time to make a mental note of having a talk with Viktor, seeing as he's having to dig deep to placate Ancagallon.

* HollyhockGod goes off to think of something really huge and shiny.

<TheAntiPiro> (Alan does hate to disturb the world in non-subtle ways.)

<HollyhockGod> "the lost tomb of the pharaoh Kas-en-ephet and all his riches!"

<HollyhockGod> "Long have I searched for it, but still it remains hidden by pissant spellcraft!"

<TheAntiPiro> "That can be arranged with ease."

<HollyhockGod> The dragon makes a noise that might be described as purring in a lesser animal.

<HollyhockGod> "Yes, yessssss…. to finally possess it will be a victory indeed! But I require… I must have… I NEED much, much more…"

<HollyhockGod> "You will reveal the tomb to me before seven days have passed, or I will raze your lands to ashes!"

<HollyhockGod> "Then we will discuss the further cost of my goodwill."

<Sarck> (Viktor Walters, Champion of Boredom, Dragonbane)

<TheAntiPiro> So does this mean Ancagallon won't proceed further until I reveal the tomb to him?

<HollyhockGod> "But now… I believe you wished to bargain on your own behalf."

<HollyhockGod> "What do you seek from the Lord of Riches?"

<TheAntiPiro> "I seek a soul, perhaps once pure with true desire, but now torn wayward from that path through temptation of money and wealth."

<TheAntiPiro> "I'm sure a being of your capabilities would know of such."

<HollyhockGod> "I know of millions!"

<HollyhockGod> "Every day I show more humans the true path- MY path!"

<HollyhockGod> "The only happiness comes from the collection of wealth- MY wealth!"

<HollyhockGod> "As they slave and scheme for gold, they consecrate everything they gain to my Estate."

<HollyhockGod> "I have created trinkets that demonstrate the degree of control I possess over human desires."

<HollyhockGod> "What price would you pay for one?"

<TheAntiPiro> Alan scratches his chin with the thread of fate he holds, seemingly considering what he could offer while actually considering the parameters of his mission.

<TheAntiPiro> While it seems a bit evil to corrupt someone with greed so that their greatest desire is preordained, there isn't a lot of time available to Alan, so he stops being idle and starts to speak.

<TheAntiPiro> "The price I would pay would perhaps be equal to the worth of the person. Should the true heart's desire be wealth, I can arrange for that desire to become fulfilled beyond imagination, and what is theirs becomes yours, does it not?"

<HollyhockGod> "It does."

<HollyhockGod> "Indeed, this will benefit us both, if it really amuses you to play fairy godmother."

<TheAntiPiro> "I do not expect to float about with a magic wand."

<HollyhockGod> "I can show you a man who burns with desire for wealth, above all other things. Though I have never yet allowed him to taste real gold, yet he is completely my slave."

<HollyhockGod> The dragon's tail darts into a still pool of water at the side of a nearby pile of gold.

<HollyhockGod> The water ripples, and begins to display a vision of a man.

<TheAntiPiro> I'll carefully take a look, keeping in mind Ancagallon isn't entirely stupid and might try to take a bite out of me.

<HollyhockGod> "This is Wilson Featherby, claims adjutant. A greedier soul I haven't seen in years."

<HollyhockGod> "You may find him in London, if you care to look."

<HollyhockGod> The pool displays a location at a certain office building in London.

<TheAntiPiro> (I almost thought that said Lockerby, which would've made things god awful)

<HollyhockGod> "Gratify his greed, then, for my gain and your amusement."

<HollyhockGod> (Yes, more or less literally.)

<HollyhockGod> "Then return with my treasures!"

<HollyhockGod> "Or better, I will come for them."

<HollyhockGod> "In seven days time, I will visit your Chancel. I shall either receive gold or deal out destruction. That is all."

<HollyhockGod> The fires of the cavern go out in front of you, and you can no longer see the dragon.

<HollyhockGod> You can only hear his deep, chuckling breath.

<TheAntiPiro> (Oh shit, which chancel is in the London area? I recall there being one.)

<TheAntiPiro> Is the exit visible at least?

<HollyhockGod> Yes, you can see light behind you.

<HollyhockGod> (I'd have to look it up. I forget. If he doesn't actually live in a Chancel probably nobody cares.)

<TheAntiPiro> I will go ahead and take my leave then, seeing as he'd probably be annoyed if I stood around.

<HollyhockGod> (Fine's Chancel *used* to be there, but now she's on the Moon.)

<HollyhockGod> (My current reckoning is that Fine is the oldest known human Noble.)

<HollyhockGod> (Both Su-Yin and Ancagallon claim to be the oldest, period.)

* Sarck has quit ()

<TheAntiPiro> Three things are obvious though for Alan: this could be a fruitless venture for him, but the bright side is it'll repair the relations with Ancagallon. It'll be simpler to not mention any of this to Viktor and have Ancagallon's arrival be a surprise, just to see the look on Viktor's face.

<TheAntiPiro> And the last but not the least is that he's going to need coffee since he'll be busy for a long long few days.

<OShuva> (You'll have Edith's blessing on the not mentioning bit)

<HollyhockGod> You only have like two.

<TheAntiPiro> Which Alan is well aware of.

<HollyhockGod> Please remember Raemiel gave you three, and you didn't hurry.

<TheAntiPiro> Slow and steady wins the race.

<HollyhockGod> I advise the use of long-distance miracles where possible.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan's already in motion though.

<TheAntiPiro> You can do so much idiocy with his domain.

<HollyhockGod> True, and the Convenience or your Chancel makes it easy.

<TheAntiPiro> He's going to relax on the boat ride back to his Chancel entrance.

<HollyhockGod> You can call ahead, request the supplies you want, have them ready while you refuel and get coffee, then take another Chancel that exits into the Thames.

<TheAntiPiro> He's going to need just a few hours at the loom to check for any places where a pirate might've buried their treasure or some such nonsense.

<HollyhockGod> You can probably divine that on your own power with greater ease and maybe 1 DMP.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah.

<HollyhockGod> Major Divination of Riches.

<HollyhockGod> Wanna?

<TheAntiPiro> I'm considering something for just a moment.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan has decided he has no qualms with doing bad things like kidnapping to finish his job, so sure. Spend a DMP to do a Major Divination of Riches.

<HollyhockGod> Searching…

<TheAntiPiro> The guy is going to hell anyway. He might as well have a fun ride.

<HollyhockGod> 5,791 results found. Displaying 1-10 of 5,791. Please click HERE to specify search terms further.

<TheAntiPiro> I'm clicking but the window isn't coming up. I'll take a stab at something perhaps in the caribeans.

<TheAntiPiro> That's two b's, bah.

<HollyhockGod> Okay.

<HollyhockGod> Except now I'm being callled to dinner.

<HollyhockGod> We shall finish this later tonight.

<TheAntiPiro> We can finish this later then.

<TheAntiPiro> I might end up out for the rest of the night.

<HollyhockGod> Well, later, then.

<HollyhockGod> We'll see.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

* HollyhockGod sets mode -e HollyhockGod

* You are now known as BFPaway

<TheAntiPiro> Oh yeah Shuva.

<TheAntiPiro> Edith will hopefully be around when Ancagallion shows up, just to make sure he doesn't act up.

<OShuva> It depends on how quickly miracle points regenerate

<OShuva> When we left her, she had two AMP to her name

<TheAntiPiro> What someone doesn't know can kill them.

<TheAntiPiro> But alrighty, afk.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

<HollyhockGod> So, you were heading back to the Chancel by boat.

<HollyhockGod> What do you plan to do while you're in?

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. And I had a done a major divination for any treasure that might be squireled away in the caribbeans.

<HollyhockGod> The Caribbean… I locate 72 separate instances of pirate treasure hidden there.

<HollyhockGod> Some of it still has live pirates attached to it.

<HollyhockGod> Please add parameters.

<TheAntiPiro> Remove all instances of living pirates, and look for treasure that a person could concievably drag or carry to a small boat.

<TheAntiPiro> Large treasure that is.

<HollyhockGod> Large in value?

<HollyhockGod> Hm, I assume you want things that might tempt a dragon.

<HollyhockGod> But small enough to carry along on this boat with no help?

<HollyhockGod> Or is this for your desires-plot?

<HollyhockGod> If you don't want to do digging, you can always grab a few servants on your way there.

<TheAntiPiro> Well I'm about to have one full day burnt up, so I need to do the desire plot simultaneously.

<TheAntiPiro> Large in value, such as gold or precious gems.

<HollyhockGod> All right. You might also consider something of mystical value.

<HollyhockGod> But that might not tempt the uninitiated!

<HollyhockGod> Searching for gold and gems…

<HollyhockGod> Suitable site located.

<HollyhockGod> Conveniently accessible via mystical Chancel waterways.

<TheAntiPiro> That's perfect.

<HollyhockGod> Approximate value: $2 million US dollars.

<HollyhockGod> You don't have an Anchor, do you?

<HollyhockGod> This would be a useful time for one.

<TheAntiPiro> None as of yet. I think the idea bothers Alan, and he's spent most of his time tending to chancel interests.

<TheAntiPiro> Depending on how things go with Ancagallon and this whole fiasco, he might take one, but that's for later.

<HollyhockGod> You'll have to love or hate someone first. That can be a bit step.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

<TheAntiPiro> Now then, would it have been possible to call in a request for three simple things while on the boat?

<TheAntiPiro> Then again that's not needed.

<HollyhockGod> I'm still not up on whether your Chancel has that kind of technology.

<HollyhockGod> I don't think so.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. So scratch the idea regardless, it's unnecessary.

<HollyhockGod> You could send a prayer to Laurelynne and ask her to do so via Anchor.

<TheAntiPiro> It's alright.

<TheAntiPiro> Fortune involves gambling, and Alan's doing a few gambles. No need to get anyone suspicious of anything.

<HollyhockGod> Hm, your Unlucky handicap is a Limit.

<TheAntiPiro> It is, but he's betting on that too.

<HollyhockGod> That should give you two extra MPs somewhere.

<TheAntiPiro> We'll see.

<HollyhockGod> No, I mean you should add them to your totals.

<HollyhockGod> You get two more MPs for having it.

<HollyhockGod> It's a Limit, not a Restriction.

<TheAntiPiro> I'll remember to amend that later.

<HollyhockGod> So you could increase your DMPs to 7.

<HollyhockGod> Or AMPs.

<TheAntiPiro> So, will a lesser divination of Wilson Featherby's luck in life give me enough insight into his life, or should I just look up his fate upon the loom.

<HollyhockGod> Divinations will do.

<HollyhockGod> You really only need the Loom for large-scale work.

<TheAntiPiro> Thought so.

<HollyhockGod> It's purpose is a) to increase your ability to affect large populations and b) to let the other members of your Familia affect fate.

<HollyhockGod> I don't have the first part of this part logged.

<TheAntiPiro> Ok, so lesser divination of Wilson Featherby once the major divination is done. Just need to know what this guy's circumstance has been like, etc. Any family, married, children, what not.

<HollyhockGod> Do you?

<TheAntiPiro> Uh…I don't log IRC.

<TheAntiPiro> I can probably C&P it later.

<HollyhockGod> Yes, please try that now.

<HollyhockGod> I have logging turned on now, but I missed everything since I switched boxes.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, circumstances.

<HollyhockGod> He works in some clerical position at an insurance company.

<HollyhockGod> Apparently it's his job to determine the validity of insurance claims.

<HollyhockGod> Horoscoping now…

<HollyhockGod> Financial: $40,000 /year. Has hit glass ceiling, doesn't know it.

<HollyhockGod> Romantic: Virgin. Likely to remain so. Unlikely to accept this gracefully.

<HollyhockGod> Personal: Will suffer minor house fire in a month. Mostly smoke damage.

<TheAntiPiro> (So you plan to burn my house down do you)

<HollyhockGod> (Your house?)

<HollyhockGod> (Ah, I see.)

<HollyhockGod> (Look, I don't have the Fortune Estate here.)

<TheAntiPiro> (Just joking.)

<HollyhockGod> Any other areas of interest?

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. His karma seems to be bad enough, but how do others tend to view him?

<HollyhockGod> Bland.

<HollyhockGod> Further data not known to this Estate.

<TheAntiPiro> That's good enough.

<TheAntiPiro> That combined with what Ancagallon claims makes him easy pickings.

<TheAntiPiro> Also, is there any way to divine just how much wealth was at St. Helens?

<HollyhockGod> Let's say around $1 million in material goods. St. Helens was a bit dormant.

<HollyhockGod> It's major value was in it's draconic power and usefulness as a servant and in the enslaving Greed-power of the heart that trapped humans there and made it a temple to Greed.

<HollyhockGod> It was more a servant and an artifact than a gold storing-house.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah. Well, how many boats and Chancel workers can I pick up in short order while stopping at the Chancel?

<HollyhockGod> I'll say three boats and twenty men.

<HollyhockGod> That's on short notice.

<TheAntiPiro> That's perfect. Does that include the boat I'm currently using?

<HollyhockGod> No.

<TheAntiPiro> Alright. One man can easily guide a boat right?

<TheAntiPiro> If it's just a small one.

<HollyhockGod> Yes, these are relatively modern-class boats.

<TheAntiPiro> Very good. Then I can kill two birds with one stone and perhaps amass a little income for the Chancel.

<HollyhockGod> You could probably find a use for money.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, so you collect the boats and men. Would you care to give any of them any detailing?

<TheAntiPiro> Well first I need to do a quick Major Divination similar to the first one, but for treasure that half a dozen men could manage to excavate with some ease and transport via boat. All of this of course within at most two hour's trip from where I am going to take my London friend to.

<HollyhockGod> I'll allow it as part of the first Divination.

<TheAntiPiro> Alright.

<TheAntiPiro> Just three instances of the most worth.

<Razzen> (Poop, I missed a lot didn't I?)

<HollyhockGod> Are you going to kidnap him and take him to dig for gold?

<Razzen> (Oh well, that's what logs are for. Excuse the interruption.)

<HollyhockGod> I've updated the logs already.

<HollyhockGod> In order to cut and paste in the bits before I turned on the logging on this box.

<HollyhockGod> You may find it instructive.

<TheAntiPiro> Well, at some point while in the chancel and while getting a cup of joe, Alan will have donned a getup of clothing and colorful robes similar to what someone might expect of a genie, complete with turban.

<HollyhockGod> Oh, my.

<HollyhockGod> I can't wait to see where this goes.

<TheAntiPiro> Creating relatively precise maps of where he would want his treasure hunters to go wouldn't be too difficult either right?

<HollyhockGod> No.

<HollyhockGod> You've got Aspect 1.

<TheAntiPiro> That's what I figured. Just checking ahead.

<TheAntiPiro> Not used to flexing nobilis muscle.

<HollyhockGod> Ask Cantrip; that's all he ever does!

* kasdaye (n=ten.elbacwahs.gc.1792f9a971006010S|eyadsak#ten.elbacwahs.gc.1792f9a971006010S|eyadsak) has joined #forum-nobilis

<HollyhockGod> Ah, and we have an observer

<TheAntiPiro> How unamusing.

* kasdaye is now known as TheWatcher

<TheAntiPiro> One of the f-m people must've opened their mouth.

<HollyhockGod> No, I did this one.

<TheAntiPiro> Well that kills the mood.

<TheWatcher> (Sorry)

<Razzen> (TAP can't perform when he's being watched.)

<HollyhockGod> It's not like we put logs of this whole thing up for the world to see.

* TheWatcher (n=ten.elbacwahs.gc.1792f9a971006010S|eyadsak#ten.elbacwahs.gc.1792f9a971006010S|eyadsak) has left #forum-nobilis ("Konversation terminated!")

<TheAntiPiro> (It would've been fine if he stayed.)

<Razzen> (Obviously someone who doesn't know TAP's sarcasm)

<TheAntiPiro> (You can reinvite him if you want.)

<TheAntiPiro> (I'll be just fine.)

<TheAntiPiro> So anyway.

<HollyhockGod> Yeah, anyway.

<TheAntiPiro> Alright, so this is all drawn up and organized in short order. What Alan will do is split up the twenty men into three groups, one for each treasure boat, and hand each group different maps to the treasure he wishes them to discover. Since things have to be done in a relatively quick fashion, he'll insist they spend no more than a day getting the job done.

<HollyhockGod> That seems doable since you have good directions and equipment.

<TheAntiPiro> Two of the men he requisitions for his little boat, one to relieve the previous navigator, and the other he can explain the plot to on the way.

<HollyhockGod> Care to give them names and things?

<HollyhockGod> Special skills?

<TheAntiPiro> No special skills needed, but I'll need just two shovels for my boat. The navigator for it can be Jerry and the plot performer Gary.

<HollyhockGod> All right.

<HollyhockGod> Carry on with your plot, then.

<TheAntiPiro> Also, I'll inform all the men they're to act as though they're going to a most grim fate, just for the sake of the man I'll be fetching.

<TheAntiPiro> Speaking of which, what's the nearest drop-off point to where the man lives?

<HollyhockGod> You can take the waterways straight to London and the Thames.

<HollyhockGod> You can get easy access to any city with a river running through it.

<TheAntiPiro> Alright. I'll have the three boats go ahead and take the pathway leading out to the islands, but they're to not travel further once they arrive there until I show up. I myself will whimsically have my man ferry us along the Thames.

<TheAntiPiro> And to clarify, the "not travel further" will leave them in the ocean and waiting for hopefully what won't be too long.

<HollyhockGod> Are they digging while you're gone?

<HollyhockGod> Ah.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, so you arrive in London, dressed as a genie.

<TheAntiPiro> A simple preservation of fortune pertaining to whether others notice me or not is possible isn't it?

<TheAntiPiro> Then again I can't affect myself…

<HollyhockGod> No and yes.

<HollyhockGod> You could send a prayer to Viktor and ask him to help out.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

<TheAntiPiro> Or I would hope not. No need to go into details either.

<HollyhockGod> Let's assume that you do and he does; he still has most of his MPs.

<HollyhockGod> Only your chosen target will notice your strange attire and behavior; is this acceptable?

<TheAntiPiro> Yes it is.

<TheAntiPiro> Well, the chosen target and my own men of course.

<HollyhockGod> Then the blessing of Ennui is upon you.

<TheAntiPiro> That's fine. I can divine where he lives can't I?

<TheAntiPiro> Actually, I'd rather divine where he's at.

<HollyhockGod> You can divine where he ought to be around, I guess.

<HollyhockGod> You know his home address and his work and the places he hangs around.

<HollyhockGod> I'll let you decide where he is.

<TheAntiPiro> That'll work. I'd rather he be at his workplace, just for the sake of both illusion and getting the ball rolling.

<HollyhockGod> Okay. So it is.

<HollyhockGod> What are you going to be doing?

<TheAntiPiro> I imagine I'll actually be smoking upon a small pipe while strolling casually up to the desk he works at. Of course, if he spots me while I'm doing so and the fact no one else is taking notice of me, all the better.

<HollyhockGod> Let it be so. He's typing nervously into his desktop.

<HollyhockGod> He looks up at you and…

<TheAntiPiro> I'm simply smiling widely with the most cheerful look in my eyes, as though happiness were as common as air itself. "Ah, Mister Weatherby, or was it Featherby? So good to finally meet you."

<HollyhockGod> "Oh?"

<TheAntiPiro> "How are you doing today? As well as any other day, at this most ignoble of jobs I take it?"

<TheAntiPiro> I take a puff of my pipe while awaiting any sort of reaction beyond "Oh".

<HollyhockGod> "Oh. Well, um, yes sir. What might I do for you?" (/manic fake cheerfulness)

<TheAntiPiro> I'm sure some of the other employees notice the man talking to nothing in particular?

<HollyhockGod> No. You're present to them, just boring.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah, right. Forgot that's how it went. Regardless…

<HollyhockGod> They probably assume you're some kind of client.

<HollyhockGod> So, what next?

<TheAntiPiro> "Ah, my friend, it's not what you can do for me, but what I can do for you." I snap my fingers and use a lesser miracle of creation that causes the air from the vents to blow a certain way so that a piece of paper flutters off of a filing cabinet and within grasping reach of my left hand.

<TheAntiPiro> (I -can- do that can't I?)

<HollyhockGod> It's a strange coincidence. I'll allow it as a ghost miracle.

<HollyhockGod> Featherby gasps.

<HollyhockGod> Or maybe he double-takes.

<TheAntiPiro> Very good. Without even turning my head I go ahead and grasp the piece of paper. On it is some mundane schedule for the week, but Featheby doesn't know it. I go ahead and pull a pair of small spectacles from inside my robes, which have no real function but for the play, and go about scrutinizing nothing in particular. <HollyhockGod> This isn't Jane Austen.

<TheAntiPiro> "Let's see here. Yes, Leatherby." He purses his lips and makes a tch-tch-tch sound. "You've reached the peak of your life, and your job isn't going to treat you any better. Infact, every person you try to get a relationship with will spurn your advances, and you'll be fired within exactly 34 days. While going home, your house will burn down, and no one will help you."

<TheAntiPiro> "You'll spend the rest of your days as a homeless bum until you die old, miserable, and penniless at the ripe old age of 92. Tsk tsk tsk."

<TheAntiPiro> Half of this is doctored up, but no one has to know that.

<HollyhockGod> "W-who are you?"

<TheAntiPiro> "Ah, a most excellent question, my good friend. I am Al-Vahari, generous spirit and friend of man. I believe people of these times call my kind a 'genie'. But enough about me, for this is about you."

<HollyhockGod> "Me."

<HollyhockGod> (Three wishes is fun.)

<HollyhockGod> (Be sure to throw in the "Only Selfish Wishes" clause, because that one is hilarious.)

<TheAntiPiro> "Yes, friend. You." He takes a pull of his pipe and breathes out the smoke in what is possibly a painfully long few seconds. "Tell me, is such a fate what you wish to suffer? I'm sure one such as yourself shouldn't simply go through life with his ambitions unanswered. Yes, indeed yours is such a case that I was drawn here by the powers that be to offer you more than what you are destined for."

<TheAntiPiro> "A chance to change your poor fortune into something most…profitable."

<TheAntiPiro> He takes another puff and blows the smoke out, a ghost miracle causing the smoke to briefly appear as a money sign before dissipating.

<TheAntiPiro> (Or would it take more? I really should figure things out better.)

<HollyhockGod> "You mean… like three wishes?"

<HollyhockGod> Ghost miracle is fine.

<HollyhockGod> Things that don't have anything more than cosmetic effect make fine ghost miracles unless they're large and visible.

* _3Power has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))

<TheAntiPiro> Alan booms into laughter, but no one even seems to notice or care. He slaps his belly a few times before coming to a stop. "You have quite the fine sense of humor my friend. I knew you were someone to allow such an opportunity. No, I do not grant three wishes, nor free dishes…well I could, but I doubt that is what anyone would want aside from an obsessed housewife."

<TheAntiPiro> "What I offer is but one wish; a desire of the heart. But it must be what you want the most in life, what you yourself can make use of."

<TheAntiPiro> "This could be anything, even gold and riches lost unto time itself."

<TheAntiPiro> "But you," and Alan point his pipe directly at the man, "Must make this choice."

<TheAntiPiro> (points*)

<HollyhockGod> "Gold?"

<HollyhockGod> "It's true… I could do with having something like that."

<HollyhockGod> He's still not quite certain of what's going on.

<HollyhockGod> It's going to take more than mystic smoke to convince him you've got powers.

<TheAntiPiro> "Yes, I'm sure you could." Wilson being confused is perfectly fine, so long as Alan takes advantage of it, which he shall.

<HollyhockGod> So what will you do?

<TheAntiPiro> Sleights of hand are aspect 1?

* _4Power has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))

<HollyhockGod> I suppose.

<TheAntiPiro> With a flick of his wrist, a gold coin appears between his fingers, and he inspects it a bit before biting down on it. "Ah yes, the old coin. I believe the spanish were rather careless with where they left these." He twirls it about a bit to let the light shine off of it, a ghost miracle causing the light to hit it at the right angles to make it gleam.

<TheAntiPiro> "But I can tell you are not entirely convinced. Perhaps we should take a walk outside and discuss this further my friend. It's going to be rather uncomfortable in here in just a moment."

<HollyhockGod> Oh, my.

<HollyhockGod> Featherby follows you out like a poleaxed cow.

<HollyhockGod> You'll give him /dementia animus/ if you aren't careful.

<HollyhockGod> Although since it's just him you'd get away with it.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. Would it be simpler to create a lot of bad luck or destroy good luck in an area?

<HollyhockGod> Create the bad luck.

<HollyhockGod> If you want chaos

<TheAntiPiro> That's fine. And confined to a small area, such as one floor of an office building, would be lesser?

<HollyhockGod> Destroying good luck would just stop good things from randomly happening.

<HollyhockGod> Yes.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, so you want an entire floor full of random chaos?

<TheAntiPiro> Excellent. As soon as we exit the doors to the building, yes. A lesser creation of bad luck for the floor where his job is located.

<TheAntiPiro> Anything from the sprinkler system having a freak accident to his boss' toupee suddenly catching on fire.

<HollyhockGod> Might want to let it happen behind you, so he actually sees it go.

<TheAntiPiro> Yes, that'll work.

<HollyhockGod> All right. The sprinklers suddenly activate, causing an arc of electricity that sets the supervisors toupee alight.

<HollyhockGod> A random woman who was denied health insurance busts out of an office, where she's beaten a claims adjuster senseless with her stick and is looking for more.

<HollyhockGod> The supervisor trips while trying to put out the flames and ends up spreading the fire onto one of the potted office ficuses.

<HollyhockGod> Somebody has a panic attack.

<HollyhockGod> And a bomb threat comes in on the fax machine.

<TheAntiPiro> I'll probably give Wilson 5 full seconds to witness the anarchy before pressing the button on the elevator for the first floor.

<HollyhockGod> That should do it.

<TheAntiPiro> And yes, that'll do just fine.

<HollyhockGod> As you pull Featherby into the elevator and let the door close on the chaos, he suddenly pulls away from you and presses back against the wall as though you were some sort of demon.

<HollyhockGod> Now he's chattering and swearing and trying to keep it together.

<TheAntiPiro> I don't suppose I could miracle the luck of his mind holding together?

<HollyhockGod> No, that's fortitude and personal choice rather than coincidence

<HollyhockGod> I think he's mostly scared.

<TheAntiPiro> "Ah, no reason to be worried. This is why I am here at this time, not a moment sooner, not a moment later. As long as you travel with me, for the immediate time being, you will be just fine."

<TheAntiPiro> "This was just one such example of what you were in for my friend. Relax, and enjoy this good fortune."

<HollyhockGod> He looks like he believes the exact opposite of that.

<HollyhockGod> But he doesn't seem able to speak.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan is just the beaming visage of happiness, and he can feel his facial muscles hurting.

<HollyhockGod> Maybe you could try bringing him some good fortune right now, to increase his trust in you?

<HollyhockGod> Or use Aspect for charming him?

<TheAntiPiro> Aspect would do. I seem to be losing him a little too much, but then again that's to be expected if he were weak enough to be overtaken by greed.

<TheAntiPiro> I planned to have all sorts of things happen as we walked towards the boat.

<HollyhockGod> You may as well invent some.

<HollyhockGod> Prove that you can bring good luck as well as anarchy.

<HollyhockGod> Also it would amuse me more.

<TheAntiPiro> Sorry it's taking so long, but even at this speed things have to be taken care of very carefully.

<TheAntiPiro> With null luck Alan can easily screw up, and there's no time for error.

* _3Power (n=471.271.951.66|rewoP3_#471.271.951.66|rewoP3_) has joined #forum-nobilis

<HollyhockGod> Yeah, it's getting quite late.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. So we'll start out small and grow a bit, just to try and not scare the fellow. Mind if I dumb things down into US currency?

<HollyhockGod> Sure.

<TheAntiPiro> Actually, do you want to finish this tomorrow night?

<HollyhockGod> I've got work tomorrow.

<HollyhockGod> Then I'll be in Spain.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm.

<TheAntiPiro> Very well.

<HollyhockGod> After Friday, at least.

<TheAntiPiro> I guess we'll long story short this.

<HollyhockGod> We can go for a bit.

<TheAntiPiro> At least this part.

<TheAntiPiro> While they're exiting, a sequence of events and cheap miracles would lead to the equivalent of $5 floating down and landing on Wilson's head. Alan would insist upon visiting a coffee shop since he's thirsty (which he really is) and Wilson will end up the one millionth customer and given free coffee and pastry, along with some sort of giftcard. Really simple stuff.

<TheAntiPiro> In the mean time, I guess he would ramble on about how he goes around the world visiting people who, like Wilson, are suffering from poor circumstance that impedes their inherit greatness.

<HollyhockGod> That's good but not really miraculous-good.

<TheAntiPiro> Yeah.

<TheAntiPiro> While halfway towards the boat, I'd insist upon entering a store to use the bathroom. A little bit of dumbluck would lead Wilson to spot a conjured up white rabbit with a black right paw in an alleyway, and upon his inspection it would run away, revealing a winning lottery ticket for a decent sum. Perhaps $20,000.

<HollyhockGod> Getting better.

<TheAntiPiro> Maybe even a bit of rain as Alan rejoins him, but it all happens to land around them as they walk some more.

<HollyhockGod> "This… this is unreal!"

<HollyhockGod> "And I think that rabbit is talking to me!"

<TheAntiPiro> "A talking rabbit? Surely you jest my friend." Alan just laughs at the notion, which seems to be a joke itself. Perhaps a bit of infectious good attitude.

<HollyhockGod> Okay.

<HollyhockGod> So now what?

<TheAntiPiro> Gauge roughly how he's feeling, and whether it's good enough to get to the crux of the proposal.

<HollyhockGod> He's currently more or less stunned and feels like he's dreaming.

<HollyhockGod> Might depend on how you phrase it.

<HollyhockGod> You may have to be blunt.

<TheAntiPiro> "I see you are feeling much better than before. Perhaps it was all that coffee." They're walking up to where the boat is stationed. "You seem the kind of person to understand and appreciate what wealth can do for one's happiness," and he'd hold up Wilson's left hand palm-side up, flat. A lesser creation of bad luck would have some poor girl's piggy bank in a nearby building crack apart, the coins fluttering out into the air.

<TheAntiPiro> Of course, they'd all flip through the air and come down to stack on Wilson's palm, largest to smallest.

<HollyhockGod> Getting warmer!

<HollyhockGod> Keep on going.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. What's the simplest way to go about turning a metal into gold?

<HollyhockGod> Alchemy, which you don't have.

<HollyhockGod> Or Realm.

<TheAntiPiro> Ah. Well then, my original plan.

<HollyhockGod> Eh, it's getting too late.

<TheAntiPiro> Alright.

<HollyhockGod> We'll have to finish some afternoon this week.

<HollyhockGod> Either way, this is certainly interesting.

<TheAntiPiro> I was basically going to shuffle the coins into a leather pouch and have him shake it, having pre-set gold coins just happen to flip to the top.

<TheAntiPiro> He could tempt him but of course whisk the bag away, challenging him to grasp that which he desires.

<TheAntiPiro> Lesser creation feels like the shotgun of Nobilis.

<HollyhockGod> An interesting plan.

<HollyhockGod> It's useful, yes.

<HollyhockGod> What I would have done was give him two wishes, which you more or less force on him.

<HollyhockGod> Then dangle the wealth in front of him.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm, true.

<HollyhockGod> But it's all a matter of style.

<TheAntiPiro> All I'll say about what fate is instore for Wilson once his usefulness is up is…heh.

<TheAntiPiro> It'll be a subtle warning on Alan's part to Ancagallon.

<HollyhockGod> We shall definitely have to see about that.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, I'll say goodnight for now.

<TheAntiPiro> G'night.

LATER

<BFP> Would we like to finish tonight?

<TheAntiPiro> Who's we?

<BFP> You and I.

<TheAntiPiro> Remind me where we left off.

<BFP> I believe you were about to drag Wilson Featherby onto a boat.

<HollyhockGod> I'm not sure what you were going to do next

<HollyhockGod> Care to elaborate?

<TheAntiPiro> Well, once he's decided he wants gold bad enough to taste it (which shouldn't be hard) I was going to ask him to step on the boat so we could go fulfill his wish.

<HollyhockGod> I think you might be able to convince him.

<HollyhockGod> As your Aspect-y charm and demonstration of your powers starts to take an effect on him, he's beginning to get into the idea of gold.

<HollyhockGod> "I really am in need of a surprisingly large amount of money," he says.

<HollyhockGod> "Is there really such a thing as a free lunch?"

<TheAntiPiro> It's for just a moment, but Alan is bothered by how oddly perceptive this pathetic fellow is. It reminds him of himself, except he had looked for more in life than money.

<HollyhockGod> Is it perception or just ordinary cynicism?

<TheAntiPiro> The latter.

<TheAntiPiro> But it's always safe to err on the side of over-expectations.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan slaps Wilson on the back once and laughs. "I knew you were an excellent choice. Your ability to see the wheel of life turning means you are very worthy indeed!" Alan doesn't exactly elaborate just yet.

<HollyhockGod> Are you at the boat yet?

<TheAntiPiro> We'll retcon getting near it, if it was the case. Regardless, aside from the boat operator, there's another fellow on there. The big, muscled up type that looks like he has nothing to lose and a grim expression on his face.

<HollyhockGod> That was your second helper?

<TheAntiPiro> Yes.

<HollyhockGod> Okay. Names?

<TheAntiPiro> I think we discussed this before, but I'll stick to Jerry for the operator and Gary for the large fellow.

<TheAntiPiro> Since I don't feel like digging in logs.

<TheAntiPiro> We'll say the weave was being messed with.

<HollyhockGod> I think that was what it was anyway.

<HollyhockGod> Carry on.

<TheAntiPiro> While directing Wilson towards where the boat resides, he starts talking in a low voice while he shakes the leather bag he had put all of Wilson's lucky-change-that-fell-from-the-sky in. A lesser creation of good luck sees the gold coins already in there tumble to the top, and he nonchalantly holds the open pouch in his left hand to let them display to Wilson.

<TheAntiPiro> "Tell me, my friend. I ask this because only those with the utmost resolve and desire can get that which they want above all else in the world. Are you willing to do anything for this chance I now hold before you?"

<HollyhockGod> "Absolutely."

<TheAntiPiro> A lesser feat of aspect sees the bag toss into the air before Alan snatches it and it seemingly disappears back up his sleeve. "Good. Now then, I will tell you what you must do." They've neared the boat enough that Alan can merely point at it and Wilson should be able to spot it. "Do you see that large fellow there?"

<HollyhockGod> He does.

<TheAntiPiro> "Yes. His is a sad fate. A modest fisherman, he has nothing left after losing his ship and business. His children are sick and his wife threatens to leave him if he cannot come up with something soon. His desire also burns bright, and he is willing to do anything for his family."

<TheAntiPiro> "At least, that is what he will tell you. That is a lie, as will be everything the others you meet will say to you."

<TheAntiPiro> Alan gives Wilson a moment to digest this and perhaps blurt out a stupid question.

<HollyhockGod> I don't think he knows quite what to say to that.

<TheAntiPiro> "Now then, you said you are willing to do anything, correct?" Alan has returned to the smiling spirit of good fortune, shuffling Wilson up to the boat. Gary looks over at them both, then goes back to staring down the river.

<HollyhockGod> "Perhaps you'd better explain in detail?"

<HollyhockGod> Now there's a serious look on his face.

<HollyhockGod> I think you've finally got his attention!

<TheAntiPiro> Alan slowly pulls a small folded piece of paper from somewhere within the folds of his robes and holds it out towards Wilson, waiting for him to accept it. "I will only ask you to do one thing, my good friend."

<HollyhockGod> Dun dun dun.

<TheAntiPiro> (Guh, my plan is falling apart since I'm half-asleep, but eh)

<TheAntiPiro> (This can work)

<TheAntiPiro> As a matter of fact, the letter has "Do not open until you have stepped onto the boat" written on it.

<HollyhockGod> "I'm beginning to wonder about you," says Featherby, and now there's a quality to his face and voice that doesn't remind you of a dog that's been kicked for once.

<HollyhockGod> "But then, I suppose there comes a point where we all have to take a risk to get what we need."

<HollyhockGod> He doesn't just step onto the boat, he takes a leap over the railing.

<TheAntiPiro> Did he accept the letter?

<HollyhockGod> Yes.

<TheAntiPiro> Good. Alan merely smiles, and then speaks. "Jerry my good man, see these two off then." Jerry would merely nod at this point and start up the boat.

<HollyhockGod> Are they leaving without you?

<TheAntiPiro> They should be able to travel without my presence to the islands, right?

<HollyhockGod> Yes, if they have the right whatever knowledge to use the Chancel waterways.

<HollyhockGod> Which they do.

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. I'll also have a mermaid spirit contact those who were waiting, since there's been a change of plans. Just tell them to go ahead and go find the treasure and return to the chancel with it.

<HollyhockGod> Do you have mermaid spirits serving you?

<TheAntiPiro> Don't know why I wouldn't. Things that generally symbolize good fortune fall into my jurisdiction.

<HollyhockGod> Mermaids don't symbolize that to my recollection.

<TheAntiPiro> Are you sure?

<TheAntiPiro> Go figure.

<HollyhockGod> I think the nautical symbolism for good luck is porpoises.

<HollyhockGod> Porpoises following your boat.

<TheAntiPiro> Very well then.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, that happens, then.

<TheAntiPiro> If anything, the only thing on the boat aside from the three people are two shovels. Gary and Jerry both seem to be watching towards where the boat is heading, which means it would probably be a good time for Wilson to read the letter.

<HollyhockGod> So… what does it say?

<HollyhockGod> Kill them both and take the gold for yourself?

<TheAntiPiro> Sorry, got distracted. Easy when my head's killing me.

<TheAntiPiro> Well, the letter is written as thus.

<TheAntiPiro> "As I knew you would, you understood that there is no such thing as a 'free lunch', as you put it. Also, as I said, I have one wish to grant, yet many desire this wish. I trust you to have the resolve to do what is necessary to gain the treasure, and so I will tell you the fate of this journey you go on."

<TheAntiPiro> "Know now that if the big man reaches the island, you will never get that which awaits you. Also, as much as it saddens me to admit, Jerry is an excellent navigator, but he cannot resist the call of wealth. You agreed to do anything to achieve your goals. Remember that."

<TheAntiPiro> Once Wilson is done reading the letter, the scenery will have changed to that of a bright sunny day upon the sea, with nothing but an island looming in the distance.

<HollyhockGod> So, what are you yourself going to do?

<HollyhockGod> Stop for a biscuit?

<TheAntiPiro> (Let me get some damn Tylenol first)

<HollyhockGod> Also, are you seriously going to abandon your men to be murdered?

<TheAntiPiro> The boat comes to a stop for a moment. "Just a moment boys," Jerry the pilot says, and he stands up and goes by the right side of the boat, just maybe a foot away from Gary. There's a zipping noise and Jerry starts to pollute the oceans.

<TheAntiPiro> It's almost too perfect really. The island is so far away and they're both next to eachother. Perhaps one convenient little push, but Gary is rather large…could Wilson hope to tackle them both over without falling in himself?

<TheAntiPiro> There's also the shovels.

<HollyhockGod> But you aren't there yourself?

<TheAntiPiro> It wouldn't take much of a quick prayer to Viktor to have that boredom aura amended so that Wilson will now not really notice Alan, would it?

<HollyhockGod> I suppose not.

<HollyhockGod> Wilson does not murder anyone.

<HollyhockGod> He's stretched out, leaning out over the water, apparently enjoying himself immensely.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan would be standing atop a porpoise, which is swimming through the ocean to transport him.

<TheAntiPiro> It all looks really silly.

<HollyhockGod> He's got a very strange smile on his face, some emotion that Alan isn't familiar with.

<HollyhockGod> He seems quite content to remain there.

<TheAntiPiro> That's a little odd. I don't suppose Alan could do a lesser divination to see if anything out of the ordinary is happening.

<HollyhockGod> No, because that's not Fortune-related.

<TheAntiPiro> True.

<TheAntiPiro> Well, once Jerry's done doing his thing, he'll start the boat back up again for the island.

<HollyhockGod> So it goes.

<HollyhockGod> Do you have anything planned?

<TheAntiPiro> Alan is merely content to watch, somewhat disappointed. Still, there is plenty left to occur.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, so what's going to happen?

<HollyhockGod> This is getting really long so maybe you should fill me in.

<TheAntiPiro> Ok.

<TheAntiPiro> Jerry is going to inform the two that they have until noon the next day to dig and try and find the treasure.

<TheAntiPiro> Basically Gary will dig up the treasure at night once Jerry and Wilson go to sleep, and Alan will just have something happen to wake Wilson up in time to see Gary dragging the treasure to the boat, supposedly intent upon whisking it away from the others.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, let's assume that that happens. I assume that they're doing all of this on your orders?

<HollyhockGod> Are you doing anything to stop them from getting killed?

<TheAntiPiro> Yes and yes.

<HollyhockGod> I suppose you could have pulled them out of the ocean to stop them from drowning.

<HollyhockGod> Okay, so Wilson wakes up to see Gary stealing away dragging a huge box of gold.

<HollyhockGod> So he sticks two fingers in his mouth and wakes Jerry.

<HollyhockGod> Then he plays the scene cool. He's giving Gary the opportunity to pretend that he was going to share all along.

<HollyhockGod> Jerry is trying to act shocked at the "betrayal."

<HollyhockGod> He isn't a very good actor!

<HollyhockGod> It's very sitcom-lying stuff.

<TheAntiPiro> Yep.

<HollyhockGod> Luckily, I think you've kept Wilson away from miracles long enough to reduce the risk of dementia animus a bit.

<TheAntiPiro> Appropriately corny.

<TheAntiPiro> I see.

<HollyhockGod> Wilson doesn't seem inclined at all to murder anybody.

<HollyhockGod> In fact, he's now more or less insisting on equal division into thirds.

<HollyhockGod> And you're beginning to remember something someone once told you.

<HollyhockGod> Something about dragons and, um, lies.

<TheAntiPiro> Somehow I'm not very surprised.

<HollyhockGod> You could have saved a lot of trouble with some research beforehand. :)

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed.

<HollyhockGod> So, what will you do with all this gold now?

<TheAntiPiro> Oh, I suppose the whole equal division thing will be fine. No one would believe Wilson if he told the story, and he probably knows it as well.

<TheAntiPiro> As for the gold at large I've collected to appease Ancagallon.

<TheAntiPiro> Well.

<TheAntiPiro> I'm quite pressed for time to grant someone's deepest desire now.

<HollyhockGod> Yes.

<HollyhockGod> I'm sad you didn't pick up on what I wanted you to do earlier.

<HollyhockGod> But I couldn't actually suggest it.

<HollyhockGod> Because you'd have smelled a rat.

<HollyhockGod> I was hoping you'd have tried to improve his romantic fortunes and gotten him sex.

<HollyhockGod> He actually *is* a relative of Fine's (distant).

<HollyhockGod> And probably adopted, but still.

<TheAntiPiro> Oh well. He can get plenty of it now.

<TheAntiPiro> And damnit, I should've known that bit.

<HollyhockGod> He's going to give it all to save the old orphanage.

<TheAntiPiro> His fate is his now. Gary and Jerry will drop him back off in London.

<HollyhockGod> But maybe he'll win the heart of Miss Linda the teacher.

<HollyhockGod> So, heading for home to recoup?

<TheAntiPiro> Indeed. Short a heart's desire, but I gained plenty of income and a bit of … disquietude.

<HollyhockGod> I think with Edith to help you, you might have an easier time finding some random Chancelfolk and granting his desire.

<HollyhockGod> Maybe the bootboy from the first session; that would be amusing.

<TheAntiPiro> Hmm. Relying on someone for a bit of help huh.

<TheAntiPiro> That might turn off Alan a tad, since he'll end up owing her something.

<TheAntiPiro> But whatever gets the job done.

<HollyhockGod> You can give her $20.

<HollyhockGod> :)

<TheAntiPiro> I had a bad feeling about this whole thing.

<TheAntiPiro> I also hope I don't run into Fine any time soon.

<HollyhockGod> In theory, you haven't compromised Featherby.

<TheAntiPiro> In theory.

<HollyhockGod> But you came awfully close!

<TheAntiPiro> No doubt Fine will be offended that he tried to manipulate even a distant relative into doing all sorts of naughty things for material wealth.

<HollyhockGod> I think you can argue good intentions and ignorance if it ever comes up.

<HollyhockGod> Fine is unreasonable about people who are actually bad but not about people who meant well.

<HollyhockGod> Also, you didn't compromise his purity so it's possible she won't find out.

<HollyhockGod> From her POV, you presented a snare, which Wilson overcame, then rewarded him with lots of gold to save that orphanage!

<HollyhockGod> She doesn't have to know that you were trying to turn him into a shrine of Greed to pay off your debts.

<HollyhockGod> Spin it right, and you could convince her that she owes *you* a favor.

<TheAntiPiro> Alan's personal luck won't spin.

<HollyhockGod> In this case I meant present it correctly.

<HollyhockGod> Luck won't help you against another Noble anyway.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License