Data Failure

<Razzen> Hello.

<Hollyhock God> Hellowaffo.

<Seawaffle> hay, sorry I'm a little late

<Seawaffle> duty not here?

<Hollyhock God> Tragic, Duty and TSO are still absent.

<Hollyhock God> But Duty said he was being hijacked for a matinee Christmas musical.

<Razzen> Isn't it a little late for Christmas?

<Hollyhock God> That's what I said.

<Razzen> Well the orthodox church had their Christmas recently so maybe not.

<tragicsmile> whew, nearly forgot >_<

<Razzen> Hello

<tragicsmile> welcome back razzen~

<Hollyhock God> So we need to get TSO's attention.

<tragicsmile> wth is he doing anyway?

<Hollyhock God> Who knows?

<Hollyhock God> He's always lurking, every hour of the day.

<Seawaffle> so duty's not showing?

<Hollyhock God> I know he knows about the meeting.

<Hollyhock God> He said he might be late.

<Hollyhock God> I think we can at least try to start without him…

<Hollyhock God> But we do need at least four of five.

<tragicsmile> well, since the two of them won't attend any meetings with him around, I guess we'll be fine. Duty?

<Hollyhock God> Duty was the one who said he might be late.

<tragicsmile> tso's forum-m nick says he's at work, though

<Hollyhock God> It always says that.

<Hollyhock God> Plus he didn't say he had work.

<tragicsmile> :/ true

<Razzen> Thanks tragic, it's good to be back. :)

<Hollyhock God> Both nicks are in there, actually.

<tragicsmile> oh

<Seawaffle> so how long we figuring on going tonight?

<Hollyhock God> I don't think it will take too long.

<Razzen> Doesn't matter to me, I have the day off tomorrow.

<Hollyhock God> Once I see how IRC play works I'll have a better idea of how to plan sessions.

<Hollyhock God> Me too.

<Seawaffle> well, I always have tomorrow off ;_;

<Seawaffle> damned unemployment

<Hollyhock God> Never say die, Waffle.

<Seawaffle> definitely need to move

<Seawaffle> so, uh, what do we do without tso and duty?

<Hollyhock God> Lie in the gutter and curse our fates?

<Seawaffle> hrm

<Hollyhock God> Come up with plans for crushing the newcomer?

<Hollyhock God> You need some good scheming going on.

<Razzen> Same thing we do every night, try to take over the world.

<Hollyhock God> How will you get rid of the British chick trying to take over your home?

<tragicsmile> easy enough

<tragicsmile> scandal

<Seawaffle> would be so much more easy if I could kill her

<tragicsmile> would the loss of all records and the mysterious death of faculty be enough to close a university? :/

<Hollyhock God> Well, you can if you can get away with it.

<Hollyhock God> Not if the Imperator who runs it and the other Powers don't leave.

<Hollyhock God> I don't think the record loss is public knowledge if you don't make it so.

<Hollyhock God> The faculty are all grown in the basement in vats.

<Hollyhock God> But just one on one it would be hard to fight her.

<Seawaffle> well, I've got the most realm, so I should be able to curb any changes I don't like, no?

<Hollyhock God> She's got higher Aspect, but you've got higher Spirit… in-Chancel you'd probably win.

<Hollyhock God> You can certainly stop a lot of things.

<Seawaffle> if the chancel's going to listen to anyone, it'll listen to me~

<Hollyhock God> But she's not exactly powerless.

<Razzen> That's right.

<tragicsmile> hm, rather low Realm scores do put us at a disadvantage

<Hollyhock God> Well, later you can buy up if you want.

<Hollyhock God> Or you can work out another way to get around them.

<Hollyhock God> I'm not sure they'd be willing to alter the minds of the students to a significant degree…

<Hollyhock God> So once something's taught, it probably stays taught.

<Seawaffle> I just want the chancel to be a normal university ;__;

<Seawaffle> damn you newcomers

<Razzen> That's what I want as well.

<Hollyhock God> Maybe you could hire the Cammora to bump her off?

<Seawaffle> possibly

<Seawaffle> that isn't illegal?

<Hollyhock God> Nothing the Cammora does is illegal.

<Hollyhock God> By Lord Entropy's decree.

<Seawaffle> is it illegal to hire them?

<Hollyhock God> No.

<TheStupidOne> zomg I am here but not really

<Hollyhock God> Nothing you hire them to do is illegal.

<Seawaffle> just frowned upon?

<Hollyhock God> Aha, we found you.

<Hollyhock God> Only by Tildegran if she finds out.

<Seawaffle> tso, are you going to stay?

<Hollyhock God> Why not really?

<Seawaffle> or are you doing things

<TheStupidOne> sunday = family day

<Seawaffle> guh

<TheStupidOne> so I'm not really on the computer

<Seawaffle> guuuuuuuuh

<TheStupidOne> hug

* HollyhockGo breaks down and cries.

<Seawaffle> so, what do we do?

<Hollyhock God> Hire the Cammora to kill TSO's family.

<Seawaffle> this is a good plan

<TheStupidOne> then I will become BATMAN

<Razzen> Blarg

<Hollyhock God> He can give them the power to talk to animals in exchange or something.

<Seawaffle> you're not rich enough, tso

<TheStupidOne> richer than you

<Seawaffle> ;___;

<Seawaffle> you don't have to tell it like it is ;;

<Hollyhock God> oh no you DIDN"T!

<tragicsmile> oh burn

<Seawaffle> osnap

<Hollyhock God> We needs our TSO!

<Hollyhock God> We're already missing Duty.

<Hollyhock God> I had to make up your character name for you; you were gone so long.

<TheStupidOne> I wasn't here most of the weekend =/

<Hollyhock God> It's Emma Graves-Margery, just so you know.

<Hollyhock God> On that, let's begin with details.

<Hollyhock God> As you know, recently, an Imperator close to your Ymera, Tildegran, was recently killed in battle.

<Hollyhock God> The True God Wintersmith was the Imperator of Wood, Birds, Fortune, and Crystal.

<Hollyhock God> His death was believed to be the result of an attack by a full Warmain who was able to enter Earth by means unknown.

<Hollyhock God> The only survivor was the Power of Wood, currently being questioned by agents of Lord Entropy- it is believed that he will eventually be recruited by Tildegran.

<Hollyhock God> More to the point, another casualty of the battle was another of your Familia's Powers, the Dominus of Communication.

<Hollyhock God> Since then, the position was filled by…

<Hollyhock God> TSO, shall you have been a guest lecturer?

<TheStupidOne> that works

<Seawaffle> thought tso was a youngster

<Hollyhock God> Not necessarily a good guest lecturer.

<Hollyhock God> Besides, thirty-five is young to you.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Seawaffle> I suppose

<Hollyhock God> Emma Graves-Margery, a British guest lecturer on means and methods of communication technology in the future.

<tragicsmile> our lady works in mysterious ways

<Hollyhock God> She has taken to Noble power very quickly.

<Hollyhock God> tragic: I suspect she's pretty blunt, honestly.

<Hollyhock God> Remember who she's based on.

<tragicsmile> true

<Hollyhock God> Anyway, she's already announced her intention to use the knowledge available to Nobilis to advance her dream.

<Hollyhock God> The institution of worldwide telepathic communication!

<Seawaffle> hrm

<Razzen> Oh my.

<Hollyhock God> Possibly through some kind of telepathy hat. Details.

<tragicsmile> this is intruiging

<Seawaffle> ooh, is it a jaunty hat?

<Hollyhock God> Nobilis will be allowed a telepathy crown.

<Seawaffle> bah

<Razzen> Is it possible for humans to communicate without language?

<Hollyhock God> In what sense?

<Seawaffle> this must be a crisis for razzen

<Hollyhock God> Well, it will probably be a decades or centuries-long project.

<tragicsmile> …well, we think in our respective languages, don't we?

<Hollyhock God> I suspect cross-language telepathy is possible.

<Seawaffle> it could be argued that we just interpret our thoughts in our language

<Hollyhock God> It will need working out.

<Razzen> Just curious is all. But there seems to be no common ground between each person's thoughts.

<Hollyhock God> However, another crisis has been facing you!

<Razzen> As an aside I should mention that my dissertation was on pre-literate phonetics.

<Hollyhock God> The mysterious destruction of all your records, which occurred on the same day as the death of Wintersmith.

<Razzen> Pardon?

<Hollyhock God> Your budget allocations, student information, all kinds of important data is missing.

<Seawaffle> we should have had backups, no?

<Hollyhock God> You did.

<Hollyhock God> They're gone too.

<Seawaffle> hmmph

<Razzen> Indeed we ought to have, I am fairly certain I put them there.

<Hollyhock God> I did say 'mysterious'.

<Hollyhock God> What are you going to do about it?

<Seawaffle> well, we have to rebuild

<Hollyhock God> You have maybe two weeks before students begin arriving. Possibly less.

<Hollyhock God> First thing is the budget.

<Razzen> Are the record receptacles (the actual physical containers that would have held them) still in place?

<Hollyhock God> The computers are still there.

<Hollyhock God> The buckets of paper are probably gone.

<Hollyhock God> The staff might remember a little bit.

<Hollyhock God> They all handled the records at some point.

<Razzen> Very well, I should like to use a Minor Divination of Memory to ask those computers what they recall about the theft.

<Razzen> Or disappearance or whatever may have happened.

<Hollyhock God> All right, that's a simple miracle.

<Hollyhock God> It's Lesser, though.

<Hollyhock God> Hmmm… the computer remembers that the data is still there.

<Razzen> Minor, lesser, potato, potahto.

<Hollyhock God> But when it goes to access it, the space is blank.

<tragicsmile> So you're saying that we just can't access the data.

<Hollyhock God> It's simply been carved out of the hard drive.

<Hollyhock God> No, it's gone.

<Razzen> Carved out, as in physically?

<Hollyhock God> But the computer's memory of where it was is still there.

<Hollyhock God> No, metaphorically.

<Hollyhock God> But mundane hackers probably wouldn't have done it that way.

<TheStupidOne> metadata is intact, but there's nothing there

<Hollyhock God> Yes.

<Razzen> Right. A miraculous act.

<Hollyhock God> You do know how *much* data there was.

<Seawaffle> hrm

<Hollyhock God> You estimate about, hmmm….

<Hollyhock God> 4500 students are enrolled for the year.

<tragicsmile> would the post office have a record of who we sent correspondence to?

<Hollyhock God> Is that a good number?

<Razzen> That sounds about right.

<Hollyhock God> They might have some records..

<Hollyhock God> But they won't know whether a letter was to a student or a business or someone who owes you money.

<Seawaffle> do the teachers still have grade records?

<Hollyhock God> Or to an alum, or whatever.

<tragicsmile> We'll have to have someone start digging through that, then we can find some other way to narrow it down

<Hollyhock God> From last year, yes.

<Hollyhock God> You can identify the returning students that way.

<Seawaffle> so we should know everyone except freshmen

<Hollyhock God> You could possibly correlate that data with the post office records to get the names and addresses of all returning students.

<tragicsmile> which is tricky because new freshmen is the easiest way to introduce someone who shouldn't be in our chancel.

<Razzen> There may be a problem then with someone in the incoming class.

<Seawaffle> quite possibly~

<Hollyhock God> Is there any action you would like to take?

<Razzen> So, to cover their tracks and not indicate which student is the problem all of the incoming students were selected.

<Seawaffle> not an especially elegant way of doing this~

<Razzen> A trail must have been left somewhere.

<Hollyhock God> What kind of trail would you like to look for?

<Seawaffle> well, someone would have had to physically enter the chancel

<Seawaffle> for the physical records

<Razzen> Any signs of miraculous breach into the Chancel would be a start.

<Hollyhock God> Waffle: Actually, miracles can work long distance, but you can check.

<Hollyhock God> You could use the Witch Hunt Rite.

<Hollyhock God> You have to beat the intruder's Auctoritas, though.

<Seawaffle> could tso communicate with the chancel itself?

<Razzen> Right. That's Aspect, isn't it?

<Hollyhock God> No, but Bernardo could.

<Seawaffle> ahh

<Seawaffle> wait, what's the witch hunt one again?

<Hollyhock God> Or Razzen could check the building's memory of what happened there.

<Hollyhock God> Witch Hunt Rite detects the traces of miracles.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Seawaffle> I could try to pull that off

<Razzen> I was going to let Bernardo do it since I already performed a miraculous action.

<Seawaffle> I assume I've got the most spirit

<Hollyhock God> Let's assume it happened yesterday.

<Hollyhock God> Yes, but your spirit doesn't matter.

<Razzen> Page 123 BTW.

<Seawaffle> ahh

<Seawaffle> I don't have the stuff handy, sorry

<Hollyhock God> You have to add more Penetration than the intruder has Spirit.

<Hollyhock God> Divination is Realm 2

<Hollyhock God> You have Realm 3.

<Seawaffle> ok, so penetration is rmp?

<Hollyhock God> You could try a divination of what went on in the room, with Penetration 1, for free.

<Seawaffle> I'm thinking that might be something wise to try

<Seawaffle> especially if it's free~

<Hollyhock God> You see that the records were all present at the beginning of yesterday.

<Hollyhock God> At about, oh,

<Razzen> So it was a day ago.

<Hollyhock God> 5AM, they stopped being there.

<Seawaffle> just poofed?

<Hollyhock God> Just vanished.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Hollyhock God> You don't see any blank spots that indicate a Power's physical presence.

<Seawaffle> can I tell if there's any spiritual residue or whatnot?

<Hollyhock God> Yes… let me read this carefully.

<Hollyhock God> You use the Witch Hunt Rite, and learn that the disappearance was performed by a male Power who you've never met.

<Hollyhock God> When he did it he was in a bad temper about something.

<Hollyhock God> That's all you find out.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Seawaffle> excrucians can impersonate powers though, no?

<Hollyhock God> It was done at a distance, as a Miracle of Domain.

<Hollyhock God> Yes, they can.

<Hollyhock God> But Powers might just as well have a reason to do it.

<Seawaffle> so, it's a power with some power over records or whatnot

<Hollyhock God> Titus, call for you on line 3.

<Hollyhock God> Waffle: Or Vanishment.

<Hollyhock God> Or Paper.

<Seawaffle> ohohoooho

<Hollyhock God> Or Words.

<tragicsmile> hm.

<Razzen> I shall answer it.

<Hollyhock God> It's Tildegran.

  • HollyhockGod is now known as Tildegran

<Tildegran> Is this my servant, Titus Naro?

<Razzen> Ah, hallo Bruntilde.

<Razzen> Ja.

<Tildegran> I'm sorry, what was that?

<Seawaffle> *horses neigh*

<Razzen> Brunhilde, the beautiful Valkyrie. It was a play on words.

<Tildegran> I see.

<Razzen> Nevermind, my apologies.

<Tildegran> I shall choose to let it pass.

<Tildegran> I wished to inform you that a Noble of my counterpart, the Angel Machael, shall be visiting our Ward today.

<Tildegran> It is her mission to inform you of the details of the tragic death of the being known to you as Wintersmith, the True God.

<Tildegran> Any questions?

<Razzen> I see. No, not at all. We shall give her a warm reception on your behalf.

<Tildegran> That is all.

  • Tildegran is now known as HollyhockGod

<Razzen> Tschuss.

<Hollyhock God> She hung up.

<tragicsmile> beautiful.

<Razzen> I take it she is not a fan of the works of Wagner.

<Hollyhock God> I notice you forgot to ask who the Power is and what she looks like.

<Hollyhock God> Ah, well.

<Hollyhock God> I'm sure it will all become clear.

<Razzen> I am sure it will.

<Hollyhock God> What were we going to do about the missing information?

<Razzen> Well, I shall first tell my fellows to be expecting a female Angel by the name of Machael.

<Hollyhock God> No, a Power of Machael.

<Hollyhock God> Not the Angel himself.

<Razzen> Thanks.

<Razzen> My mistake, poor reading skills.

<Hollyhock God> You know of Machael, a little.

<Razzen> What does my Memory tell me?

<Seawaffle> well, we can set some magical thing to working through the returning students records and such

<Hollyhock God> A comparatively young Angel (1000yrs).

<Hollyhock God> Seawaffle: You mean like a secretary?

<Hollyhock God> You have plenty of those, it's true.

<Razzen> I don't know if that will be enough.

<Elias> It will have to be a start.

<Hollyhock God> Also, Machael is notorious for choosing Powers based solely on their good looks and not on their abilities, in accordance with the Heavenly love of beauty.

<Hollyhock God> He is loosely affiliated with Tildegran.

<Seawaffle> we can grow a few extra secretaries, no?

<Razzen> Very well, so everyone be on the lookout for a supremely beautiful woman then.

<Hollyhock God> Sure, but you can spare about seven already.

<Hollyhock God> It would take a month to grow more.

<Razzen> As if they wouldn't already.

<Hollyhock God> A Lesser Creation of Realm would make more.

<Seawaffle> guh

<Seawaffle> how many more?

<Hollyhock God> Oh, a hundred or so.

<Hollyhock God> 1 RMP, for you.

<Seawaffle> would that be enough to get it done in two weeks?

<Hollyhock God> You can set it so that whenever there aren't enough people working on records, another one will appear.

<Hollyhock God> It will get the university working, but you'll have to accept whoever arrives and claims to be a freshman student.

<Seawaffle> ok, I will go ahead and do this then

<Hollyhock God> You'll have no other way of knowing.

<Hollyhock God> All right, cross off 1 RMP.

<Razzen> How soon until students begin to arrive?

<Hollyhock God> What do the secretaries look like? Any preferences?

<Hollyhock God> Two weeks.

<Hollyhock God> You can move time forward whenever you're ready.

<Seawaffle> I have no particular preference

<Seawaffle> nondescript

<Hollyhock God> Okay, one hundred plain vanilla secretaries begin poofing in.

<Elias> Smooth, Piccione.

<Hollyhock God> We'll tackle the problem of what to do with them afterwards later.

<Hollyhock God> What else would you like to do?

<Hollyhock God> Any other plans to find Indians in the woodpile?

<Seawaffle> hmmph

<Hollyhock God> Or would you rather wait until they begin to arrive, and start investigating.

<Seawaffle> well, we can kick on the sight to notice anything particularly unusual about new students, no?

<Hollyhock God> Yes.

<Hollyhock God> It is two weeks later. You still haven't heard from Machael's Power.

<Seawaffle> so I'd say we should all just be rather wary

<Razzen> That seems odd.

<Hollyhock God> 4500 students begin to arrive.

<Hollyhock God> How do you plan on Sighting them all?

<Razzen> Wait a minute though, two weeks? But Tildegran said it would have been that day.

<Hollyhock God> Station yourselves around campus?

<Hollyhock God> Perhaps she got it wrong? It wouldn't be the first time.

<Seawaffle> well, we could conduct random dormitory searches

<Hollyhock God> She's very definite but she gets details wrong owing to lack of focus in this realm.

<Hollyhock God> OK, what do you search for?

<Hollyhock God> What constitutes suspicious material?

<Hollyhock God> Or the Power might have been late for some other reason.

<Seawaffle> well, anything that pops up on the sight as supernatural, I'd suppose

<Hollyhock God> Are you doing this Invisibly?

<Hollyhock God> And what about the rest of you?

<Seawaffle> or, even better

<Seawaffle> orientation

<Seawaffle> usually, new students have a meeting of some sort

<Seawaffle> we'll just scan them all there

<tragicsmile> pre-frosh week

<Razzen> That's a good idea.

<Hollyhock God> Good plan.

<Razzen> By the way to we have admissions councilors here?

<Seawaffle> I'd assume so

<Hollyhock God> One week before move-in day, you are present at the orientation ceremony.

<Hollyhock God> Yes, you do.

<Razzen> It might be helpful to consult their memories to see if they can recall names of the students they admitted.

<Hollyhock God> You grow them in vats like the secretaries.

<Hollyhock God> OK, let's say you admitted 1200 freshmen.

<Razzen> And then make a list of those names and when new students arrive and give their names see if they match up with what they remember.

<Hollyhock God> The counselors interviewed 750 of them.

<Hollyhock God> The names of the other 450, who they never met, have slipped

their memories.

<Razzen> Which would still leave 450 that they wouldn't have met. Damn.

<Elias> I'll go ask Janina to go through the student medical information she recieved

<Hollyhock God> It's all gone.

<Seawaffle> everything is gone

<tragicsmile> oh yeah

<Hollyhock God> Here's a clue: $$$

<Hollyhock God> At least, it's something you should consider.

<Razzen> Tuition dollars.

<Hollyhock God> The bank is located outside the Chancel.

<Seawaffle> ahhh

<Razzen> Bingo.

<Hollyhock God> They have the names of everyone who paid you money.

<Elias> contact any student loan agencies and/or scholarships to find out who at our university avails of them

<Hollyhock God> Of course, it's impossible to say whether the people who paid were ever actually admitted by you previously.

<Hollyhock God> A fair number of students have benefitted from scholarships and loans.

<Hollyhock God> Nothing jumps out about any of them.

<Razzen> Even so, any discrepancies in the payment rolls and the incoming students themselves would be notable.

<Elias> any scholarships routed from libraries or reading funds?

<Seawaffle> haha

<Hollyhock God> I… couldn't say, I don't know what that would signifiy.

<Hollyhock God> Oh, I see.

* tragicsmile chuckles

<Hollyhock God> No, you don't detect the hand of the Power of Books, who you've never heard of, in this.

<Hollyhock God> Anyway, Bernardo is at orientation, with the Sight flipped on.

<Hollyhock God> You scan the crowd, but nobody strikes you as anything but mundane human.

<Bernardo> hmmph

<Hollyhock God> Then you turn around.

<Hollyhock God> Where are you standing?

<Seawaffle> well, in these sort of things, faculty is usually on stage or against a wall or something

<Hollyhock God> So you're in the ceremony?

<Seawaffle> sure

<Hollyhock God> All right, let's assume you're outside.

<Hollyhock God> Off to one side of the crowd, sitting on a bench in the distance, is a young woman who registers as Noble.

<Hollyhock God> She's reading a book. She looks bored.

<Seawaffle> I'll make a note of her for after the ceremony, wouldn't want to disrupt anything

<Hollyhock God> KK.

<Seawaffle> nothing else outstanding?

<Hollyhock God> You try to determine her Estate, yes?

<Seawaffle> yeah

<Hollyhock God> Her aura is… white. Brilliant, shining white.

<Hollyhock God> It reminds you of something holy.

<Seawaffle> hmmm

<Hollyhock God> That's all the Sight shows you.

<Hollyhock God> Oooh, I think she glanced up at you!

<Seawaffle> well, we know that she's not the one who did the records things

<Seawaffle> oshi

<Hollyhock God> She has white hair, too, did I mention?

<Razzen> I'm sure I know who it is, but I'm not there am I?

<Hollyhock God> A common effect of high Domain is the resemblance to one's Estate.

<Hollyhock God> You could be there if you like.

<Hollyhock God> You don't know her.

<Hollyhock God> Okay, the ceremony is over.

<Razzen> I can't consult with my Estate to as if it has any recollection of her?

<Seawaffle> ok, well, I'll make my way over to the noble

<Seawaffle> maybe grab razzen along the way

<Hollyhock God> That would be Greater Divination, and it would only reveal what other people know.

<Hollyhock God> Nobles can't be directly divined.

<Razzen> Ah, that's right.

<Hollyhock God> Okay, as you move towards her, she comes to you as well.

<Hollyhock God> She gives you this look, like, "Whatever you want, it better be good."

<Hollyhock God> She's probably less than twenty-five (at least to look at), she's dressed very conservatively, and she's wearing a crucifix.

<Hollyhock God> Will you make the first move?

<Bernardo> sure, i'll initiate conversation~

<Hollyhock God> What will you say?

<Bernardo> why hello, miss, might you be a new student?

<Hollyhock God> She looks at you like she can't believe how dumb you are.

<Seawaffle> trying to be a kindly old professor and what not

<Hollyhock God> She says,

<Hollyhock God> "No. Might you be the Dominus of Geometry, Warden of this Chancel? Don't answer that."

<Hollyhock God> "I already know."

<Bernardo> we should most likely be speaking of such things in private, miss

<Hollyhock God> "I am Fine Lockerby, proud servant of the Angel Machael. I had thought you were told to expect my arrival."

<Hollyhock God> "What, can you not control your own Ward?"

<Hollyhock God> "I don't call that impressive."

<Bernardo> we try to maintain a certain…level of decorum here, miss

<Hollyhock God> You could probably use a Preservation to keep students away if you liked.

<Bernardo> please, let's retire to my office, we'll speak more about why you're here

<Seawaffle> I'm not too keen on using my powers around the students and such

<Hollyhock God> "Does decorum have a meaning similar to 'lack of accomplishment?' Very well, I shall accompany you. Summon your Familia."

<Hollyhock God> They wouldn't see you do anything.

<Seawaffle> still, it goes against how I work

<Hollyhock God> Just use a Lesser Preservation of Solitude.

<Hollyhock God> OK.

<Hollyhock God> So, how do you call up Emma and Simoun?

<Seawaffle> ok, so I grab razzen, and we go back to my office. I assume we call them via phone or whatnot

<Hollyhock God> OK, I assume you both have phones.

<Hollyhock God> How will you set things up in your office?

<Seawaffle> what do you mean?

<Hollyhock God> I assume you have one chair for yourself, and a few on the other side for guests.

<Hollyhock God> Where do you put her, and where do your Siblings go?

<Hollyhock God> Subtle social details are important to the Nobilis.

<Hollyhock God> And she already gives off that she thinks you're an ineffectual tit.

<Seawaffle> well, I'm not going to sit at the desk, I'll pull my chair out, I'd assume we all arrange ourselves in a circle

<Hollyhock God> Ah.

<Seawaffle> I don't quite care what she thinks, she's in my house

<Hollyhock God> Very well.

<Hollyhock God> All in a circle.

<Hollyhock God> Fine introduces herself to your Siblings, and is very friendly to Simoun and Emma.

<Seawaffle> hrm

<Hollyhock God> I think you see her smile.

<Hollyhock God> She gets down to business.

<Hollyhock God> "I have been sent to inform you of the status on my investigation on the deaths of your Sibling Potens, and the Imperator who was your ally, in view of your involvement in what must follow."

<Hollyhock God> "Divinations have shown that in a single battle, an Imperator and four Nobles were slain outright, apparently by a single being."

<Hollyhock God> "I feel certain that only an Excrucian Warmain could have succeeded in such a feat."

<Bernardo> it would have to be something like that in order to manage such a thing, yes

<Hollyhock God> "Upon my Angel and Lord's investigation in the Spirit Realm, it was discovered that recently a certain plane of perception was left temporarily undefended recently."

<Hollyhock God> "Through such an aperture a full Excrucian of this type might have succeeded in reaching the Earth."

<Fine> They believe that this same being is still present somewhere in Europe.

<Fine> We have no knowledge of what its future plans may be, or of whether it had a larger objective beyond removing Earth's defenders."

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Fine> Has anything occurred her to suggest the presence of an Excrucian intruder?

<Fine> *here

<Bernardo> well, there has been the matter of all of our student records mysteriously vanishing

<Bernardo> but i don't know if that would necessarily imply an excrucian

<Emma> we're not quite sure what has caused it yet, we're still investigating

<Fine> I see. So there have been lapses of vigilance here as well.

<Fine> Well, I sympathize with your loss in any case.

<Fine> Hopefully it will spur you onward in defense of our mutual home.

<Fine> I was given to understand that the survivor of Wintersmith's Powers will be entering your Familia, no?

<Seawaffle> we've not actually heard this, have we?

<Fine> I think Tildegran has already arranged it, yes.

<Seawaffle> we've been informed?

<Fine> HG: Yes.

<Seawaffle> ok then

<Fine> HG: Lord Entropy & co are debriefing him.

<Bernardo> yes, troublesome matter that it will be…

<Emma> from our understanding, he should arrive rather soon

<Fine> Well, I will return home with this report.

<Fine> And next time, please be in your office when I call you…

<Hollyhock God> She's gone.

<Razzen> I'm going to have to chuckle at that.

* Simoun smirks and sighs

<Bernardo> hmmph, troublesome woman

<Hollyhock God> Apparently your secretary was busy too.

<Razzen> Well, she certainly knows how to make an impression.

<Hollyhock God> Something about paperwork.

<Hollyhock God> Well, what do you plan to do?

<Elias> What are the students up to?

<Bernardo> obviously, she has no idea that we're running a school here, not sitting around like slugs

<Razzen> Well okay, that's one thing out of the way. We really need to get back to the students.

<Hollyhock God> They've all scattered.

<Elias> ooc: classes start when?

<Hollyhock God> Some are moving in a little early, others are leaving.

<Hollyhock God> T minus one week.

<Hollyhock God> Shall you prowl the campus?

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Razzen> Do we have that list of financial records from the bank?

<Hollyhock God> Yes, everyone who has shown up so far seems to have paid on time.

<Seawaffle> I'd say that keeping a watch around the place with the sight would be a decent idea

<Hollyhock God> All right.

<Hollyhock God> Titus, as you stroll around the dorm area, you see something that seems familiar.

<Razzen> And what might that be?

<Hollyhock God> A new student has left a box of personal items out on the sidewalk with a friend while he carries his minifridge upstairs.

<Hollyhock God> On the top is an open sketchbook.

<Hollyhock God> The drawing you see is of a woman you are familiar with.

<Hollyhock God> A woman who was murdered last week by an unknown Excrucian.

<Razzen> Oh, a mortal woman then?

<Seawaffle> hmmmmm

<Hollyhock God> Her name was Lucia Corodelli, the Domina of Crystal.

<Hollyhock God> Sister Caelestis of your future Brother.

<Seawaffle> well, there's only a few options about that…

<Razzen> One of the murdered Powers. Interesting. Who might this sketchbook belong to?

<Hollyhock God> It seems to you to have captured something very personal about her.

<Hollyhock God> It seems to belong to a student.

<Razzen> What is she doing in the picture?

<Hollyhock God> It's just a face.

<Hollyhock God> She looks bemusedly content.

<Elias> Can you describe the way in which the face was rendered?

<Hollyhock God> Colored pencil.

<Seawaffle> is there anything odd about the student?

<Elias> Quality of line - sketchy? Does it make an identation on the paper?

<Razzen> I would like to know how long ago that this picture was made, as if it were just before her death.

<Hollyhock God> She had very light amethyst-colored hair, and an elderly but youthful appearance.

<Hollyhock God> It seems to have been drawn today, if you're any judge.

<Hollyhock God> The student seems perfectly ordinary.

<Razzen> Strange. Alright, I'm going to have to consult with the student then.

<Hollyhock God> He seems pleased that you asked.

<Razzen> Guising as an old man by the way.

<Hollyhock God> All right, if you like.

<Razzen> Just in case he isn't perfectly ordinary.

<Hollyhock God> He drew it this morning, when he was eating at an outdoor cafe.

<Hollyhock God> He saw that woman pass by, and was intrigued by her unique beauty.

<Seawaffle>

<Hollyhock God> That's not how he puts it, but that's what he means.

<Razzen> "You say you saw her that very day?"

<Seawaffle> so we've got an excrucian masquerading as a dead power

<Hollyhock God> "Well, yessir."

<Hollyhock God> I should note that Warmains don't do that.

<Seawaffle> hrm

<Razzen> "I see. She is striking, is she not?"

<Hollyhock God> "I've… never seen anyone quite the same, sir."

<Hollyhock God> "I don't think I ever will."

<Razzen> "Do you recall where you were when you saw her?"

<Hollyhock God> An outdoor cafe just outside the Chancel boundary.

<Hollyhock God> She was walking down the street.

<Hollyhock God> Check his memories?

<Razzen> Yes.

<Hollyhock God> It's as he said. You can't see the woman he saw, only a blank space around her Auctoritas, but he seems to have been truthful.

<Hollyhock God> He asks "Do you know her?"

<Razzen> "She was…an acquaintance. May I keep this? It is very good."

<Hollyhock God> He seems loath to part with it but he gives it up.

<Hollyhock God> I think he hopes you're an art instructor.

<Hollyhock God> Anything else?

<Elias> "Nevertheless, this is very fine gestural work."

<Razzen> I can be a nice guy and preserve his memory of her.

<Hollyhock God> He'll never forget her, then.

<Razzen> At least so he can try to repeat the work.

<Hollyhock God> He probably will.

<Hollyhock God> All right, how do you react to this news?

<Seawaffle> well, either it's an excrucian (which we don't actually know if it's a warmain), or she's not dead

<Razzen> Good. Okay, well we should probably send someone out of the chancel to track her down.

<Hollyhock God> I should probably note that the Familia who are dead were destroyed so thoroughly as to leave only traces of body.

<Hollyhock God> Who do you send?

<Razzen> What do you all think?

<Seawaffle> about who should go?

<Elias> I am of the same mind as waffle

<Razzen> Send an Anchor probably.

<Seawaffle> I'm loathe to go myself, since I'm rather helpless outside

<Hollyhock God> All right, who will send their Anchor, and how will they find her?

<Razzen> Well, whoever goes out is going to want to take the sketch with them.

<Elias> I could walk my dog out to the cafe

<Hollyhock God> Perhaps you should make copies?

<Hollyhock God> Or maybe a "Have you seen this woman?" poster.

<Razzen> Good idea, then more than one can go.

<Emma> I can make copies and attempt to speak to the locals about her

<Razzen> We don't want to play our hand though with posters or stuff like that though.

<Elias> I think it would be much too conspicuous

<Hollyhock God> Let's assume you all send your Anchors.

<Hollyhock God> In any case, you find no trace of Lucia Corrodelli.

<Hollyhock God> Well, several people saw her around the cafe, but no one outside the street saw her.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Elias> Has any one of you detected any unexpected powers enter the chancel?

<Razzen> The cafe is relevant somehow.

<Hollyhock God> No, but you wouldn't detect that automatically.

<Hollyhock God> It is a *very* nice little cafe.

<Elias> ooc: I wouldn't given my realm score :/

<Hollyhock God> You love their breakfast croissants.

<Emma> anything unusual about the cafe or it's location?

<Hollyhock God> Walking down that street will eventually lead you into the University.

<Razzen> Where was she killed by the way?

<Elias> "Titus, what do you remember about the direction she was walking in and the position of the student?"

<Elias> or rather, what does the student remember?

<Hollyhock God> She was walking schoolwards.

<Emma> hmm

<Razzen> Yes that's right.

<Razzen> So she's here.

<Hollyhock God> You can't tell anything else about her owing to the divination immunity.

<Elias> was the student particularly close to her?

<Elias> oh.

<Hollyhock God> She maybe came within 10 feet of him.

<Elias> does the student remember any perfume or particular scent about her?

<Hollyhock God> In any case, she doesn't make herself known to you tonight.

<Hollyhock God> No, no scent.

<Elias> ok

<Hollyhock God> She never wore perfume…

<Razzen> But she is here though, in the Chancel.

<Hollyhock God> You might infer that.

<Emma> or someone impersonating as her

<Hollyhock God> Or maybe she was just scouting?

<Hollyhock God> Nobody saw her enter the Chancel that you know of.

<Hollyhock God> But you don't know all of what her powers were.

<Razzen> At any rate it would have been yesterday that she entered.

<Emma> so no recollection of her at all outside of the cafe

<Emma> when was her supposed death?

<Razzen> What are our guards by the way?

<Hollyhock God> You have no miraculous guards.

<Hollyhock God> One level of Defender's Blessing.

<Razzen> Oh right.

<Hollyhock God> All students and friendlys within recieve Auctoritas 1 against hostile miracles.

<Hollyhock God> You recall that Lucia was the Duchess of Crystal, and also a Sunfire.

<Razzen> Yikes.

<Elias> tsk

<Hollyhock God> She had a knack for Estate-based combat.

<Hollyhock God> And she could turn herself into crystalline form.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Hollyhock God> She may have had other powers you never saw her use.

<Razzen> This could get ugly.

<Emma> was there any direct evidence of her death?

<Emma> like a body?

<Razzen> No body, remember?

<Seawaffle> there weren't remains

<Emma> oh yeah

<Hollyhock God> Only that her Chancel is in ruins, as if a great battle was fought.

<Emma> I rock

<Hollyhock God> Basically the whole place was left in rubble.

<Seawaffle> so we don't really know if she actually died

<Razzen> And only one apparent survivor, who's supposed to be on his way here.

<Emma> so we don't know for sure what happened, only that her chancel was demolished

<Hollyhock God> Whether that was the Exrucian of Wintersmith in some kind of failed attempt a defense is unknown.

<Elias> Fine never told us exactly what was left unattended in her chancel, did she?

<Hollyhock God> The Power of Wood survived by being away from home.

<Razzen> How fortunate.

<Hollyhock God> It wasn't in her Chancel, it was just her Imperator who tracked the opening where the Excrucians Broke through.

<Seawaffle> well, we don't actually know if one broke through even, just that one could have, right?

<Hollyhock God> ?

<Razzen> The destroyed Chancel seems to indicate that it did break through.

<Seawaffle> is there any actual evidence for there being an excrucian?

<Emma> it's safe to assume one did

<Hollyhock God> No, just that Excrucians like to kill Power and Imperators.

<Hollyhock God> There are other beings who might have, but Excrucians are most likely.

<Seawaffle> well, it _does_ seem rather odd that there's now a dead power walking around

<Razzen> They're known for their striking beauty, too, right?

<Seawaffle> when a warmain doesn't tend to take forms of powers

<Hollyhock God> Yes, they are more beautiful than angels in their own forms.

<Emma> were they on unfriendly terms with ay neighoring chancels?

<Elias> ooc: when I meant her chancel, I was talking about lucia's. sorry

<Hollyhock God> The beauty the student described is consistent with your memories of Lucia.

<Razzen> Oh, okay.

<Hollyhock God> They had no enemies known to you, but you aren't completely familiar.

<Hollyhock God> You are all somewhat apolitical regarding Nobility at large.

<Seawaffle> if there was a warmain around, this noble _wouldn't_ be wandering about

<Hollyhock God> You were very friendly with the entire Familia.

<Razzen> But it might not have been a Warmain.

<Seawaffle> this is true

<Hollyhock God> A Deciever wouldn't have been able to take out an Imperator and his Powers alone.

<Hollyhock God> They aren't combat types in general.

<Emma> was there any sort of dissent occuring within that particular chancel?

<Hollyhock God> Not to your knowledge.

<Emma> so internal struggle can't be ruled out

<Hollyhock God> No.

<Hollyhock God> Oh, Bernardo, your secretary is on the line.

<Bernardo> i'll answer the phone

<Hollyhock God> She says there is a letter for you from Lady Smith.

<Hollyhock God> That's your code for a communication marked with a Noble's Design.

<Seawaffle> ahh

<Seawaffle> I'll go check it out

<Hollyhock God> It bears the Design of the Frost's-Regal, the Domina of Cold.

<Hollyhock God> She signs herself as "Lady Katarina Morrieux"

<Seawaffle> is everyone else here too?

<Hollyhock God> Essentially, she wants you to bring the Power of Wood to tea at her home as soon as he is settled in your Familia.

<Hollyhock God> Sure, they're there.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Seawaffle> do we know her?

<Hollyhock God> Or you tell them.

<Hollyhock God> You know of her.

<Hollyhock God> She is very well-regarded in Noble society, and very powerful.

<Seawaffle> odd that the noble of cold would want to talk with the noble of wood

<Emma> indeed

<Hollyhock God> You've heard a story about how she killed a Strategist all by herself.

<Seawaffle> hmmm

<Hollyhock God> She says that she wishes to offer him the condolences of the Nobilis at large for his loss.

<Hollyhock God> You're all invited as well, naturally.

<Seawaffle> well, we'd not really want to decline…

<Hollyhock God> The prospect of offending her would probably be unfortunate, yes.

<Hollyhock God> She has many friends.

<Hollyhock God> She lives in Eastern Europe somewhere, I think.

<Hollyhock God> She is a Power of the True God Walking-On-Blades.

<Seawaffle> I'd imagine that, as long as we're careful, nothing should happen…

<Emma> has anything unusual involving her chacel occured recently?

<Hollyhock God> No, just her usual social rounds.

<Hollyhock God> The party would be next week anyway, Duty isn't here.

<Seawaffle> yeah

<Hollyhock God> No further events will be happening this session, so feel free to discuss.

<Seawaffle> well, we can't really decline, unless we have a great reason

<Seawaffle> although it seems shifty

<Seawaffle> I'd imagine someone should stay behind

<Razzen> I would say so.

<Hollyhock God> And miss the fun?

<Hollyhock God> Well, it's up to you.

<Seawaffle> well, we do have to worry about a possible invasion of our chancel…

<Emma> I'm not one to turn down a social event, the socialite I am

<Razzen> With a possible Excrucian in our Chancel…

<Hollyhock God> You can always leave your Anchors.

<Hollyhock God> Not the exact same as being there, but still.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Razzen> True enough.

<Hollyhock God> Whatever killed Wintersmith would probably slaughter you individually anyway.

<Razzen> Long as we get back in time for the start of the new semester.

<Elias> true

<Hollyhock God> That about wraps things up, then.

<Seawaffle> whatever killed a fucking imperator would slaughter us all together

  • HollyhockGod is now known as BFP

<tragicsmile> heh

<BFP> Well, you'll have a larger Familia with Wilhelm added.

<BFP> Perhaps you'll be able to take the Ravenloft route.

<Emma> what was my last name again? emma is regged as well apparantly

<Razzen> Har.

<BFP> Destroy a vastly more powerful enemy by researching its weaknesses.

<Seawaffle> hmm

<Razzen> Everything has weaknesses.

<BFP> Graves-Margery.

<Seawaffle> well, I'll make sure to get this log up tonight or tomorrow, I suppose

<BFP> That should be fine.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License